Restarting JVM, after start.bat

I have just installed the first time openHab on Windows.
If I start the start.bat or start_debug.bat I get always following error in a loop:

Using Windows 10 and have installed the Java 8 Zulu Package as recommended in the docs.
I need the install for later development of bindings.

System variables are set:

I have not installed on Windows, but just a thought. Does JAVA_HOME permit spaces in its environment variable?

Yes, but I have also tried to install it on D drive directly without spaces.
The same problem.

Now tried it within Visual Studio Code with the “Run Task” and I get the same problem.
It is looping in “Restarting JVM” and again the same message but with a additional info:

Launching the openHAB runtime...
WARNING: Running Karaf on a Java HotSpot Client VM because server-mode is not available.
Install Java Developer Kit to fix this.
For more details see http://java.sun.com/products/hotspot/whitepaper.html#client
Der Befehl ""D:\Program Files\Zulu\zulu-8"" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder
konnte nicht gefunden werden.
Restarting JVM...
Der Befehl ""D:\Program Files\Zulu\zulu-8"" ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder

Install Java Developer Kit to fix this.

openHAB requires the JDK not the JRE.

Yes I have both installed and the %JAVA% is set to the JDK.
The Zulu JRE is in “d:\Program Files\Zulu\zulu-8-jre”!

Apparently Visual Studio code is looking at the JRE then.

EDIT: Apparently VS Code thinks there is not a JDK there. Try deleting, redownloading, & reinstalling the JDK.

Will do.

Seems the %JAVA% variable needs to be set to the .exe file.
Didn’t know that because normally you need to point to the install directory and not to the executable.
So it is now starting in Visual Studio Code, but again with the info:

Install Java Developer Kit to fix this

I will recheck the developer docs and will update the thread.

Because in the developer docs they are writing about the %JAVA% variable but in the install docs there is the standard %JAVA_HOME%.

Thanks in the meantime.