Ring Binding port from 2.5 to 3.x version

I’ve tried adjusting the refresh interval. Makes no difference - still a 2/3 minute delay between the event (ding) and the Item being updated.

Sounds promising - I’ll have a look for it on the forums - unless you have a direct link to your post and I’ll give it a try?

Looks like I’ve found it: Home · tsightler/ring-mqtt Wiki · GitHub

So this will require the setting up of Docker as well, not as straightforward as using a Binding.

This is correct time frame (1 - 2 minutes), you have to be a paid partner (i.e. Amazon) to get the real time API result.

Best, Jay

well, it’s an external application. you can run it inside docker or directly on the host

Guys, I keep getting a java error now for quite some time. Since I am not a Java expert, can anyone help me out? It seems like the login process is not getting triggered correctly. Event if I start the 2-factor page and enter the code, it brings up a java error page.

Nobody is supporting this binding, wish somebody would. My recommendation is to remove 2FA from your ring account. I don’t have it and I’m not getting this error.

Best, Jay

Unfortunately you cannot remove it, once activated. @jwiseman

I guess I’ll throw my hand up here and offer some help. I had some ring stuff back in the day running in rules and I recently have had a curiosity to add it back in. Was a PR ever created for this? Is there a repo/fork somewhere? I don’t mind trying to get this done, but if there is something I can jump off from it would be better than having to start the binding from scratch.

Wow, that would be fantastic! The last one people are using is from this URL and this person.

https://github.com/basriram/openhab-addons/releases/download/3.2.0.M4/org.openhab.binding.ring-3.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

I’m a heavy user of this, I use it at 2 physically different US states every day. I’d be glad to test whenever your ready.

Best, Jay

I haven’t even remotely had a chance to test this. I pulled the code in from basriram’s fork, tweaked a bit for the newer builds, and fired off a jar.

EDIT: Removed old jar see below…

Code is at…

This in theory should work on any OH from 3.2.0 up through 4.0.0. That said, absolutely no promises.

1 Like

His original build needed this other common JAR (below), will the new build pull this in by default now?

See thread below:

“I do not have a Ring doorbell to test but managed to migrate the binding to OH3 and it installed properly in my instance. Let me know if it works for you - https://github.com/basriram/openhab-addons/releases/download/3.2.0.M4/org.openhab.binding.ring-3.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar In case it complains of missing json-simple dependency you can install it manually in karaf console - bundle:install https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/googlecode/json-simple/json-simple/1.1.1/json-simple-1.1.1.jar

Best, Jay

Absolutely good question, and honestly I haven’t dug in enough to answer that yet. There is an entry in the pom.xml file for it, and it looks like it may have been pulled in as part of the build. I’d say try it without, see if it works?

EDIT:

Looking through the build log I see -

Downloading from central: https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/googlecode/json-simple/json-simple/1.1.1/json-simple-1.1.1.jar

Which should indicate that it pulled it down and included it. So let’s give it a try without it.

Is 2fa still an issue (noticed mention in other threads)? I had something in my old notes about 2fa, I can maybe see if we can adapt that in.

I download it and it’s installed and online, haven’t seen anybody cross the lines or ring the doorbell just yet for it to react but it’s online.

Yes, I think one of the guys above needs 2FA to work, it doesn’t or it gives a bunch of errors consistently. I don’t use 2FA so we would need to get @ Schorse333 involved to test.

Sorry to bug you after this long on this post, I went looking for a PR and I can’t find one, even an abandoned or closed one. Do you know where it went?

Awesome. For now, just let me know I didn’t break anything that was working before. I’m about to go on vacation so you’ve probably got a solid week before I can even attempt to write anything on this.

I have a ring account, just got the doorbell put in at the new house (I had ring at a previous residence before). I believe my 2fa is enabled so I think I can do the testing. Again, going to be on vacation for a bit so it may be a while before I get into this. That said, from what I remember it’s just an extra API call with the 2fa key to validate the login so hopefully it won’t be horrible to add in. I will have to get used to the code structure of the binding.

Unless anyone has any particular issues, once we get 2fa working I’ll submit the PR for inclusion (with the original authors all noted, no intention here to take credit for the work, just looking to pickup maintenance as this has gone stale).

Biggest issue people complain about the Ring binding is the speed at which it alerts you for the doorbell ringing and/or motion. There is a 2-minute delay which may be an API issue for “non” commericial use. For example, the 2-minute delay is NOT there with the Amazon integtation (showing video on the Echo devices) and other commerical integrations with their camera’s.

Not sure if you can look into that aspect of it?

Best, Jay

I’ll throw that onto a todo list. If memory serves me, I had mine dialed down to like 5 or 15 seconds. That said it’s been a few years now, they may have imposed some additional delays.

Mine is dialed down also, that is account polling period but that’s doesn’t affect the 2-minute delay though, wish it did.

Best, Jay