Ring.com/IFTTT integration?

Continuing the discussion from Ring doorbell:

Has anyone tried integrating a Ring Video Doorbell with openHAB via IFTTT/my.openHAB? This is the first time I’ve used my.openHAB so I’m not quite clear where to start.

My.openhab will show up in IFTTT as a channel. All of the Items that are configured to “persist” in myopenhab.persist will be available in IFTTT to send/receive commands.

So if you have a recipe that “WHEN Ring does something THEN openHAB Send a Command”. The “Send a Command” will let you select which Item to command and specify what the command should be. For example, you can send ON, OFF, or TOGGLE to a Switch.

OK, here’s how I got this working. I’ll refer you to the wiki on setting up my.openHAB. You’ll also need to connect your IFTTT account to your ring.com account and your my.openHAB account. Linked in the GitHub Gist are the files I added to my openHAB configuration. The two curl commands are there to make sure that openHAB persists the ring items to my.openHAB so that you can set up a recipie on IFTTT. Once openHAB has been configured and the two ring items have been persisted to my.openHAB you can go to IFTTT and create two recipies that send the command “ON” when motion has been detected or the doorbell has been rung. Links to published IFTTT recipies below.

I don’t understand why or when you need to run these curl commands. Having them be members of the MyOpenHAB group is what exposes them to my.openhab.

Please elaborate.

The curl commands are only needed to force a change so that openHAB would sync the items up to my.openHAB so that IFTTT can see them. Maybe it’s just a quirk of my installation (perhaps because I was setting up my.openHAB persistence at the same time as everything else) but that’s what I needed to do.

Thanks, that makes it much more clear.

When I use your items on OH2 I get the following errors

Items

Switch ring_front_door_motion “Ring Front Door Motion” (MyOpenHAB) {}
Switch ring_front_door_ring “Ring Front Door Ring” (MyOpenHAB) {}

Error

16:56:35.490 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘ring.items’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [1,69]: mismatched input ‘}’ expecting RULE_ID
[2,65]: mismatched input ‘}’ expecting RULE_ID

16:56:35.493 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘ring.items’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [1,69]: mismatched input ‘}’ expecting RULE_ID

16:56:35.494 [WARN ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Configuration model ‘ring.items’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [1,69]: mismatched input ‘}’ expecting RULE_ID

I can’t do this with my Ring Pro Video Doorbell. Any fixes?