Ring doorbell

My solution for instant notifications is using an amazon echo and a alexa routine.
My doorbell_ring item is tagged with [“Switchable”] so the hue emulation makes it available to Amazon Echo.
In the Alexa app i created a routine “doorbell ring” that is triggered by the Ring doorbell ring event and sets my OpenHAB doorbell_ring item to ON. Then a rule can react instantly on a ring doorbell event.

It’s very sad that ring is absolutely not interested in any smart integration of their products. I will never by this crap again. Google Nest seems to have better options for integration and a offers free limited recordings that would be enough for me.

I moved to DoorBird - https://www.doorbird.com/, local API, with instant notifications on move, pressing the bell, images and videos … , and easy integration into openHAB2 and the whole eco system.
Highly recommended - I’ll never buy a “cloud-only” product and I bought Ring 2015 with the promise of a local API in Dez 2015 (which obviously never came…).

(it has an App, too - and a plan if you’d like to store videos/images for a longer time)

It looks like Ubiquiti may be releasing their own video doorbell, called the “UniFi Protect G4 Doorbell“. They have it up in their US early access store for $199, although it shows as sold out at the moment.

I’m using Ring now, but I would gladly ditch them in favor of a Ubiquiti product that doesn’t require using a cloud service, assuming they make some sort of Local API available for integration.

1 Like

Hi any option to install the doorbird horizontally ?

I wouldnt count on that, to be honest. In best case it will work with the through the controller or their DVR software, but I doubt they would have an integration with other stuff. Thats not what Ubiquiti is all about…

I´m about to dump my Ring… I bought it a coupple of months ago, but I have to admit, only after a few days I was sick and tired of it…
Its pretty much useless answering calls (Doorbell press). One will have to manually open the app, entering Live view to answer calls. Thats simply too stupid to be real!
Its pretty much useless viewing new recordings from motion sensor triggering. The user will have to wait untill the recording is ready from the cloud… At the time any motion infront of the door would have been long gone! Thats even more stupid!

I honestly dont understand howcome a company like that are able to get away with such stupid functionalities. And even worse, there are lots of users out there who believe this is one of the best video doorbells :tired_face:

I´ll probably have a go at Dahua VTO2202F-P

Yeah, the Ring is awful. If you haven’t yet, you might also want to consider the Hikvision video doorbell which is quite popular these days:

It’s not perfect, but it’s getting close through community support. Probably the best locally-hosted option available for the moment.

Pretty much the same as Dahua I think. But Dahua support SIP and has options for external alarm switch/door/whatever.

EDIT. Dahua´s doorbell is PoE and not Wifi.

Hi, I wonder if you managed it to run the binding? It looks like the binding is no longer further developed?

I never got it to work. My goal was to trigger exterior lights based on movement detected by Ring path lights, but Ring doesn’t provide API entries for those even in their system, so I ended up just buying a new Z-wave motion detector and problem solved.

Good evening

please do not blame me about my question, but I wonder, if you might develop furthermore this binding? Ring,Alexa and Openhab might just play wonderfully together …
Best regards
Marcus

Hello everyone,

may I ask a short question to those how managed to get it running? I was able to setup the binding and basically it works - at least the channels get updated:

==> /var/log/openhab2/events.log <==
2020-08-30 23:02:20.212 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - RingEventKind changed from on_demand to ding
2020-08-30 23:12:52.445 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - RingEventCreated changed from 2020-08-30T22:59:04.000+0700 to 2020-08-30T23:09:34.000+0700

But after a “ding”, I can see the following errors (debug-mode):

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2020-08-30 23:12:04.841 [ERROR] [hab.binding.ring.internal.RestClient] - Unhandled http response code: 403
2020-08-30 23:12:04.843 [DEBUG] [hab.binding.ring.internal.RestClient] - RingVideo: Error downloading file: Failed : HTTP error code : 403
2020-08-30 23:12:21.110 [ERROR] [hab.binding.ring.internal.RestClient] - Unhandled http response code: 403
2020-08-30 23:12:21.112 [DEBUG] [hab.binding.ring.internal.RestClient] - RingVideo: Error downloading file: Failed : HTTP error code : 403

Anybody else having this kind of error or maybe a solution?

Regards,
Flip

I tried the binding as well, but can’t login into the account. I created the thing via PaperUI (as written in the manual), but no luck…wold love to have them up and running.

regards
Marcus

What version of the binding are you using? Did you try:

1. enter only username/password on the binding configuration
  2. wait for your auth-code, enter the binding config again and put it there
  3. after successful login, enter the binding config again and delete username/password

This is how I managed to get it working…

Still cannot get it to work, the binding remains in Status:

OFFLINE - CONFIGURATION_ERROR Two factor authentication enabled, enter code
In the logs I can see a 401, don’t know how to handle this:

2020-09-14 11:25:13.668 [INFO ] [hab.binding.ring.internal.RestClient] - Creating Ring client for API version 11 on endPoint https://api.ring.com
2020-09-14 11:25:14.398 [INFO ] [hab.binding.ring.internal.RestClient] - RestApi getAuthCode: https://oauth.ring.com/oauth/token, response code: 401, message Unauthorized.

Maybe I am using the wrong jar file?

Thanks so much for this tip @fuslwusl - Genius! I’ve an Alexa so have just used this too. A workaround, but very useful in you have Alexa. Particularly now IFTTT is going to shortly be charging. Thanks!

Hi, is this still working? I am struggling to send a video to telegram

if I run this as a test i get the following error
https://api.telegram.org/bot*****/sendVideo?chat_id=*****&video=http://192.168.1.10:8080/static/ring.mp4

{“ok”:false,“error_code”:400,“description”:“Bad Request: wrong file identifier/HTTP URL specified”}

Hi All. Do you know if the Ring binding will be updated for 3.0.0.M1?

Hi all.
I’ve upgraded to 3.0.0.1M and it look like the ring bing binding is not working. Please below:
09:58:51.579 [WARN ] [org.apache.felix.fileinstall ] - Error while starting bundle: file:/C:/openhab/addons/org.openhab.binding.ring-2.5.2-SNAPSHOT%20(1).jar
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Could not resolve module: org.openhab.binding.ring [264]
Unresolved requirement: Import-Package: org.eclipse.smarthome.config.core

at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:444) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
    at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.start(EquinoxBundle.java:383) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
    at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundle(DirectoryWatcher.java:1260) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
    at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.startBundles(DirectoryWatcher.java:1233) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
    at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.doProcess(DirectoryWatcher.java:520) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
    at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.process(DirectoryWatcher.java:365) [bundleFile:3.6.4]
    at org.apache.felix.fileinstall.internal.DirectoryWatcher.run(DirectoryWatcher.java:316) [bundleFile:3.6.4]

Any help to make this work please.

Hi,
is this binding working on OH3?

Hi @jwgilesjr ,

can you please share some examples on how you managed to integrate your ring devices?

Thanks