Rock Pi 4 - Smart House project

Hi everyone.

Im new to home automation and would like build my first smart house project on my apartment…
Im decided to use OpenHAB because it have great support and a lot of different examples on internet…
I need little help with selecting hardware to run OpenHAB on it…
I have plan to use next Z-Wave devices connected to Aeon Labs Z-Stick(ZW090-C):
4x FIBARO Heat Controller + Temperature sensor
12x FIBARO Walli Dimmer
13x FIBARO Walli Outlet type F
2x FIBARO Wall Plug type F

Also I would like connect my air conditioner inside units to openhab:
2x Daikin FTXA35AS
1x Daikin FTXA20AS

Later next year I have plan to connect on power input into house Aeotec Home Energy Meter(3-Phase) and another one to main power for AirCondition unit. Also I have plan connect some zwave outside weather station into my system…

I have plan to run all this on Rock Pi 4B with 4GB RAM and NVME storage to avoid SD card issues. Right now I know that I will also like add graphs into habpanel so I will need to use Influxdb and grafana…

So if I made right list I will run this:

• OpenHAB 2.X
  • Daikin Binding
  • Kodi Binding
  • Log Reader Binding
  • NTP Binding
  • Systeminfo Binding
  • ZWave Binding
  • Some weather forecast binding
  • InfluxDB
  • Grafana

Will Rock Pi 4B(4GB RAM) run all this without issues?
Do I need to be carefull when installing things for something special? I preffer to use ubuntu linux and think to use openhabian installation. As Im read on forums I need to use 32bit version of Java because 64bit is a lot of slower. Is this still true?
Now Im not sure how big NVME I need to store all data/history? How space is needed for example 1 year of data for example 40 devices with 1 minute refresh rate? I would like to store data for 3 years or more. Will be 500GB enough?

Thanks for any help and your answers.

I assume you refer to its performance. Yes, it will.
However if you don’t have the HW yet I’d suggest to go with a RPi4 as that’ll be what most others do, “extinguishing” the RockPi as a potential source of problems.
There’s ways to deal with SD wearout on that as well such as ZRAM or USB-attached SSDs.

Going RPi4 will also allow you to go with the openHABian image.
Yes, use 32bit Java, 64bit has no advantages but IS slower albeit math performance is irrelevant in home automation application.
Size? Dunno, and depends on storage mechanism. Just start and learn. You can and will adjust parameters anyway so one cannot tell upfront how much space you’ll need, but very likely ANY SSD will do.

1 Like

@mstormi thanks for reply.
I already “have”(It is on way) Rock Pi. Im try avoid RPI because as Im read have issues with Aeon Labs Z-Stick(Maybe they are already resolved), I don’t like that they boot/run from SDCard and also ZRAM solution scare me to use it because have a lot of warnings and not to do :slight_smile:
For test Im run openhab on VM on QNAP with some test zigbee devices but have a lot of issues(After QNAP/VM reboot USB device is diconnected and need to be manualy connected) so I will avoid this option. There is also OpenHAB for QNAP but again I still do not trust them that after some QNAP update this will stop working…
Im think to buy Odroid N2 because I already use one their product(Odroid HC1) as IPTV Server(TVHeadend) for more than 1 year without any issue but decide to also try some other vendor… And after some reading decide for Rock Pi 4 …
I have plan install Ubuntu image on NVME(Without sd card) and over that install openHABian software. If I will have issues with installation I can manualy install everything that is not problem(Im already do it once) :slight_smile:
Only thing which now bother me is size for NVME. I will get new computer which came with 256GB NVME but will replace it with 1TB and can use that 256GB or buy some bigger one… I just don’t want mess with all again if 256GB will not be enough… This is reason why Im ask about size that someone who use Influxdb can write me for example:
I have 50 devices with update/insert every 5 minutes with 1 year history and DB size is 1GB. If Im correct see that one user here is write that he have hundred of devices and his 7 month db size is 25MB so probably ith 256GB I don’t need to wory that I ill be out of space…

But neither the RPi 3 not the RPi 4 (I think they got this working) require nothing from SD card. You can boot directly from external media.

What warnings? The only warning I’m aware of is if your machine loses power you will lose any changes made since the last reboot. That’s a hell of a lot better than losing your whole file system because of corruption cause by an incomplete write during the power loss, something I believe NVME is vulnerable to as well. With a properly configured zram configuration, you won’t have anything writing to disk during the power loss so there is no risk of corruption.

I can’t answer the db size question. It will depend on the database server, types of data bring stored, how often, and what your clean up policy will be (e.g InfluxDB retention policies). Also note that it to not required to run the db on the same machine as OH. Were I you, if put the db on the QNAP and then your OH machine needs will be quite minimal.

1 Like

Under " Known issues" Im see that there are issues with reboot and normal reboot command can’t be used, but right now when Im reread looks like this issue they fix or Im again missread infos and you still lose all changes which are made after startup … I just wwant normaly working SBC … With Odroid which I have I don’t have none issues and there has been a lot of power outages(During last winter every week at least once) and none of them didn’t corupt system…
I want all in one system and don’t want that home automation system is depend of something else…
Looks like nobody don’t use that database with 1 year history and check what size is db and coment if this db size is in MB, GB … Looks like I will need to try myself …

Well, at least you´ll be loosing everything as well, if something goes wrong :smiley:

1 Like

Then you were lucky. It’s not a matter of Odroid versus Raspberry Pi. It’s a matter of how this stuff works in general. It’s not safe to power off any Linux computer regardless of the storage media. Flash memory (including SSDs) are even more prone to corruption, but it can and does happen on HDDs as well.

Because it’s meaningless. If I have a configuration that saves 100 items every second and another that saves 10,000 items every second you will have vastly different database sizes after a month.

If you want to figure out the size to expect for your configuration you just need to do the math. Figure out how many of each type of item, how much space it takes to store it in the database of choice, and how often it will be saved. Multiply it up and you have your answer. It’s irrelevant what anyone else’s database sizes is.

1 Like

The problem with the Z-Stick will occur with any USB3.0 computer because the stick says it is capable of USB 3 when it is not. The workaround is to connect it through a USB2 hub, It is not a Raspberry Pi 4 issue. I doubt Aeon Labs will fix their firmware though,.

1 Like

You were fortunate then. ALL multitasking UNIX-like systems have the corruption issue on unclean shutdown. It is inherent due to the multi-threaded multi-tasking nature of the system.

1 Like

I did only find this link: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/bootflow_2711.md I don’t see that external storage is supported for boot right now, but only SD card and network boot (by using a tftp server)