Rollershutters stops operating with Alexa today, direction inverted

@jeshab

I’m still on OH 2.5. I did not change anything for years.

Since today controlling my rollershutters via Alexa (openHAB cloud connector) is not running anymore. Lights, Thermostates, Switches are still running via Alexa.

I also can control the rollershutters via OpenHAB APP, this also is still running.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Did you trigger a discovery?

There is a bug that was patched today, and submitted to be released to the live skill as soon as possible, related to generic capabilities (mode, range & toggle). If a discovery wasn’t triggered on your Alexa account since the live skill was released, the control of such capabilities will be broken. The workaround is to force the rediscovery instead of waiting for the automated daily one.

Keep in mind that you might get duplicate devices after triggering the discovery as indicated in the known issues of the new skill.

Thanks for your quick reply.

No, I did not.

But I now recognized that “OpenHAB Skill for Amazon Alexa” was updated 6 hours ago.

So, I only have to wait until the Skill will be updated again? Then there is no need to rediscover my devices again (and this will also avoid duplicates)?

You most likely going to run into this issue that I initially over looked.

Correct. Although, the duplicate issue could happen on your next discovery. It doesn’t matter if you manually trigger it or not. This is unfortunately something out of our control.

1 Like

The patch for this bug is now live.

1 Like

@jeshab

The devices can now be contolled via Alexa APP.

BUT I now have to say:

“Alexa, set rollershutter xy to 0%” or 100%

Before the changes I could say:

“Alexa, open/close rollershutter xy”.

I also had groups in Alexa e.g. “Rollershutters Groundfloor”.

I told: “Alexa, open/close Rollershutters Groundfloor”.

These groups are NOT running anymore. Even if I say “Alexa, set Rollershutters Groundfloor to 0% / 100%”

Btw, does above now sound like a natural voice command?

Please advice.

Thanks a Lot.

Are you using the old syntax or new one? Can you provide your item definition?

If you removed your existing devices because of duplicates, you will need to re-add the newly discovered ones to the Alexa groups you had before. Same if you had Alexa routines setup on specific devices.

@jeshab

did not rediscover my devices. Also had no duplicates.

Btw, UP/Down and Open/Close is running now, but in the wrong direction.

/* Rollershutters */
Rollershutter	RolloEsszimmer		"Rollo Esszimmer [%d]"    	(GF_Eating, Shutters, RollosWB) { alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloEZ:position" }
Rollershutter	RolloWZ_links		"Rollo WZ links [%d]"		(GF_Living, Shutters, RollosWB)	{ alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloWZlinks:position" }
Rollershutter	RolloWZ_rechts  	"Rollo WZ rechts  [%d]"		(GF_Living, Shutters, RollosWB)	{ alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloWZrechts:position" }
Rollershutter	RolloBibliot		"Rollo Bibliothek [%d]"		(GF_Biblio, Shutters, RollosWB)	{ alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="EXTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloBiblio:position" }
Rollershutter	RolloDarian			"Rollo Dari [%d]"			(GF_Child, Shutters, RollosSB)	{ alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloKind:position" }
Rollershutter	RolloSchlafzimmer	"Rollo Schlaf [%d]"			(GF_Bed, Shutters, RollosSB)	{ alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloSchlaf:position" }
Rollershutter	RolloArbeitszimmer	"Rollo Büro [%d]"			(GF_Office, Shutters, RollosSB)	{ alexa="RangeController.rangeValue" [category="INTERIOR_BLIND", friendlyNames="@Setting.Opening", supportedRange="0:100:10", unitOfMeasure="Percent", actionMappings="Close=100,Open=0,Lower=(+10),Raise=(-10)", stateMappings="Closed=100,Open=0:99"], channel="velux:rollershutter:abb65cf4:RolloBuero:position" }

I mentioned about this above. Rollershutter are now inverted by default. So, that part is a breaking change.

Could you please give me the exact oposite example of my .items configuration

You could configure these items as {alexa="Shutter"} which defaults to the PositionState attribute.

However there is a known issue that Amazon is currently looking to fix that will prevent from controlling such device in the Alexa app.

Other than that, it should set the correct direction out of the box and UP/DOWN commands will be sent instead of specific percentage values on open/close requests.

@jeshab

Could you please give me the exact oposite example of my .items configuration?

Thanks a lot.

You don’t want to try the new syntax? :smiley:

No, not yet. My wife will kill me if this will not run within the next 30 minutes… :wink:

The solution I gave you will fix it in less time :smiley: as long as the Alexa app control is not a requirement.

Standard semantic mappings => actionMappings="Close=0,Open=100,Lower=(-10),Raise=(+10)", stateMappings="Closed=0,Open=1:100"

1 Like

No, it’s not required. I only use voice commands or openHAB App.

I’ll try the given changes and post the results here.

Thanks so far. :slight_smile:

I’ve changed the .items file, like in your suggestion, but unfortunately it did not help.

Did you trigger a discovery after making the change? Which change did you make?