Rpi3 crashes / reboots suddenly

Hi guys,

Yesterday morning when I woke up I noticed my outdoor lights wasn’t turned off. I immediately checked my openHAB and saw that the uptime was only 4 hours.
I didn’t change anything and it has been running rock-solid for the last 2/3 months.

So this morning I checked again and unfortunately, I could see that it has only been up and running for 10 hours.
That means it has been restarting twice the last two nights.

Once again I haven’t created any rules or changed anything, but can someone help me check the correct logs so I can find out what’s wrong?

I’m running openHAB 2.3.0 Release Build.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Problem with your electricity some short glitches? What kind of power supply do you use?

I would suspect sd card as well as potential power. I had strange behavior like this and then 48 hrs later my sad card was corrupt.

Could of course be power issues, but I don’t think so. I have a secondary pi in the same socket and that one doesn’t get power cycled.
I use the standard power adapter that follows.

Could of course be the SD Card, it just that the SD card is a 32GB microSDHC UHS-I Memory Card, not even a year old. :frowning:.

Standard Power Adapter? You should use a one with 2.5A min. and a short very thick or high quality power cord.

The one that follows with it when you buy a kit. It is the 2.5A Power Adapter I use.
I will see if it happened again this morning.

Is there any log I can check where I can see the kernel power failure - just to compare if it happens around the same time?

Two things that cause weird issues running OH on RPI are SD card corruption and power. The SD card could be a fake or lower quality depending on were it was purchased. Same with the power supply, but using a 5v 2.5A min should solve the power questions. If your other pi is not having issues try swapping the power supply’s but check to see if the older pi is using 2A or 2.5A. The rpi 3 needs the extra power for the wifi and bluetooth addition, regardless if using these features or not.

I’m 100% sure this is not a copy product. This Han been bought be a trustful supplier.
Both Rpi3 model b are running with same power adapter 5V and 2.5A and same SD cards. But of course, could be bad sectors on this SD, you’ll never know.

I was just hoping that in the logs you were able to see if it just got cut cutted off power wise, or if a value was trying to be written and then caused a crash (grafana / influx) …