RPi4 ubuntu-server 19.10.1 cannot load home page

Hello,

I stepped through the openHAB 2.5 installation using the documented apt method on an existing LAMP installation (that is not doing anything else right now) on RPi4 with the ubuntu-server 19.10.1 image. Console access permits the following command to list Active bundle numbers 133-190 all at 2.5.0. Unfortunately, http://ip-address:8080 times out.

HTTP on port 80 displays the default Apache2 Ubuntu Default page (i.e. no network access issue for the IP address from another client machine.

This is obviously a beginner issue since I can run openHAB console session on the openHAB server. Firefox is reporting:

The connection has timed out

The server at xxx.yyy.zzz is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Some logs would be great :confused:

Since it’s apt version should be /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log or just journalctl -u openhab2.service

1 Like

To be clear, you used this official document? It does not mention LAMP.

1 Like

@Bruce_Osborne I had to read his post three or more times to understand what he did.

He has an RPi4 with the ubuntu-server 19.10.1 which is running LAMP. (so I guess local, I know no RPi4 Hoster :smiley: )
And he just apt installed openHAB 2.5.0 on it.

Who knows what’s going on, maybe firewall, maybe openHAB never got started, maybe it did not install correctly, maybe maybe maybe.

To do anything useful instead of speculations we need logs :slight_smile:

1 Like

The openHABian scripts on Linux makes things so easy.

@Bruce_Osborne I ditched openHABian for Docker :slight_smile:

No more apt and local file madness, just one clean docker setup within one folder.

1 Like

@BrutalBirdie, thx for stepping up. Will provide the logs shortly.

My imperfect rationalization in mentioning LAMP was that the client browser does connect to the Apache2 server on port 80. Perhaps, that is the issue? I am not familiar with the openHAB HTTP server. I need to stop the Apache daemon. The openHAB cli shows that the openHAB 2.5 services are up and running.

Again, appreciate your response very much. I followed the documentation and self-documented these steps. So I will be able to provide these too (with the logs) in case you spot any errors in my approach.

Kind regards.

@Bruce_Osborne, understand your viewpoint perfectly. I used oH several years ago on distributed RPi very successfully with a RPi 2 server. I have been inactive for nearly three years now and I wanted to undergo the rigors of self-paced learning.

Kind regards.

The logs should be able to provide some indication:

/var/log/openhab2/openhab.log shows logs created by openHAB. But you can also use the command: sudo journalctl -u openhab2 -b to see some messages created when trying to start openHAB.

It’s likely that the LAMP configuration is using port 8080.

You can change openHAB’s ports by editing and un-commenting the appropriate lines in etc/default/openhab2. You’ll need to restart openhab2 for the changes to take affect.

openHAB 87989.txt (4.2 KB)
The attachment has output in response to suggestions by @Benjy. I don’t think openHAB is “listening” to anything (my naive/beginner assumption). How to get the openHAB web server to start (default 8080 is fine in my environment)? Further guidance on how to get openHAB to respond would be gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards.

P.S. Apache2 is listening only on port 80 as the attachment containing nmap output has noted.

I’m taking the liberty of uploading my installation steps that were derived from the “official” web site. Apologies again for (1) uploading a large doc (2) using monospaced text font.

Kind regards.
openHAB installation notes.txt (11.3 KB)

The jdk you listed as loading was for arch64, not arm.
Most people running a Pi4 use Raspbian, designed for that system. Is there any reason you chose Ubuntu?

Hello @Bruce_Osborne, Zulu support provided the jdk installation instructions for armv8 platform running ubuntu-server. I’ll have to contact them again. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have had openHAB running on Raspbian (and Synology) and I wanted to try another platform. I know that Ben Upton does care much for 64-bit OS for RPi, and it took a few months for Canonical support with some extra test cycles to deliver the current 19.10.1 image but then again my limited gray matter must be a focal point for masochism.

Kind regards.