RRD4j not recording values

Hi all,

I’ve recently migrated over to openHAB 4 from openHAB 3, to keep it all clean I did a fresh install and copied over the essential things I needed.

Now, I’ve noticed that RRD4j is not recording any changes at all, I have made no changes to this (I believe this is the default persistence service). I also have MapDB installed which is specifically used to store string items for times of the day, which is configured in a .persist file.

mapdb.persist:

Strategies {
  default = everyChange
}

Items {
  Default_Day, Default_Night, Default_Bed : strategy = everyChange, restoreOnStartup
}

No .persist for RRD4j, any ideas why RRD4j would not be recording any values?

Many thanks in advanced,

Jeevs :slight_smile:

If it is a new clean install why don’t you use the UI instead of files?

It is easier that files and less prone to syntax errors.

OH 3 came with rrd4j installed by default.

OH 4 vibes with a first run wizard where you can choose to have it installed. But it doesn’t come installed by default.

1 Like

Thank you both for your responses;

@ubeaut I agree the Main UI may be easier and less prone to human errors, but for me its just a personal preference to have text based files. Also, MapDB that does have a .persist file works as expected. :slight_smile:

@rlkoshak thanks for the information here. I have also installed RRD4j addon. Where do I set the default persistence service and once I do this do I need to set what I’d like to record or will it automatically start recording every change to every item?

Again thank you for the responses, really appreciate them :slight_smile:

What about checking the system setings in MainUI (Persistence Menu)

1 Like

@hmerk points out where in the UI to set it. I’ve no idea where it gets set in text configs.

1 Like

Thanks very much both @hmerk and @rlkoshak!

Do you either of you know if it is even possible to set via text config files? If not, I’ll go via the Main UI :slight_smile:

Thanks once again!

Don’t know right now, but will check later.

Of course, it is possible. The files are rrd4j.persist in conf/persistence and rrd4j.cfg in conf/services.

Thanks for the above @Lolodomo.

The two files you mention seem to be more of the config for rrd4j persistence. But where can I set the default persistence service for OH on a text based config?

If you have several persistence services installed, you have a setting to select the default, probably in runtime.cfg.

Confirmed. In conf/services/runtime.cfg:

################################# PERSISTENCE ##################################

#  The persistence service to use if no other is specified.
#
#org.openhab.persistence:default=

2 Likes

That worked like a charm!

Thank you @Lolodomo!! :slight_smile:

Of course thanks to all other contributors too for all the insights!! :slight_smile: