Rsyslogd messages lost due to rate-limiting - zram full?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
    • openHAB version: 3.0.2
  • Issue of the topic:
    Two days ago the last message was written to /var/log/events.log.

In /var/log/messages I found a lot of messages “syslogd: rsyslogd[internal_messages]: x messages lost due to rate-limiting”

df -h gives the following result:
/dev/zram1 130M 127M 0 100% /opt/zram/zram1
overlay1 130M 127M 0 100% /var/log

But in /etc/ztab I found
log alg mem_limit disk_size target_dir bind_dir oldlog_dir
log lzo-rle 150M 500M /var/log /log.bind

Normally there should be 20M space left

However I’ve found not really any explanation how to increase /dev/zram1.
Is increasing the right action to get logging back working?
What should I do?

Do you run openHABian, if so what version and branch ? This is unclear.

/dev/zram1 usually is not /var/log but persistence, so you’re showing the wrong value.

Your syslog message is unrelated. It says you have too many incoming messages. This applies before syslog writes anything to disk.

Thank you for answering so fast.
Trying to answer your question in detail, I’ve just started “sudo openhabian-config”. It told me that I’m not on the actual repository. I switched. Afterwards I tried to update my system, but getting a lot of errors:

dpkg: could not open log ‘/var/log/dpkg.log’: No space left on device
Setting up mariadb-common (1:10.3.29-0+deb10u1) …
update-alternatives: error: cannot append to ‘/var/log/alternatives.log’: No space left on device
dpkg: error processing package mariadb-common (–configure):
installed mariadb-common package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
mariadb-common
Updating FireMotD available updates count …
N: Ignoring file ‘openhab.liste’ in directory ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/’ as it has an invalid filename extension
W: Target Packages (main/binary-armhf/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab-linuxpkg.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list:1
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab-linuxpkg.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab-linuxpkg.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab-linuxpkg.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list:1
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB.UTF-8) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab-linuxpkg.list:7 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab.list:1
W: Problem unlinking the file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - FileFd::Open (28: No space left on device)
W: Could not open file /var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz - open (17: File exists)
W: Could not open file ‘/var/log/apt/eipp.log.xz’ - EIPP::OrderInstall (17: File exists)
W: Could not open file ‘/var/log/apt/term.log’ - OpenLog (28: No space left on device)
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
FAILED

Yes I’m using openhabian. It says “3.0.2 - Release Build” at the login screen.

What would be a next good step to solve one of all the problems?

Can’t say without looking at the system. I’d export the config , reinstall the box from latest openhabian image and reimport.

I’ve done now the following things:

• updating the system via openhabian-config (maybe it come up automatically at startup
  • upgrade System a second time - just too be sure - openhabian-config 02
  • stopping zram via openhabian-config (38b)
  • Install needed and recomended system package (openhab-config 11 - maybe zulu java was actualed here)
  • reboot

Effects

• df -h / - no zram any more
  • tail /var/log/messages - no error message with lost messages
  • tail /var/log/openhab/ - looks normally
  • frontail shows good messages
  • automounting of my hdd suddenly works.

So I will wait now for one week and then I will reactivate zram or I will investigate how to switch to the hdd.

At the moment I’m happy.