LivingRoomLamp2.sendCommand(ON)
end

rule "Remote1Button2Off"
when
    Item Remote1Button2 received command OFF
then
    LivingRoomLamp2.sendCommand(OFF)
end

When i look in the basic GUI the buttons for the remote change state when i press buttons on the physical remote but the lamps don’t change state, what am i missing?

Perhaps the button Items receive updates, that would be more usual for “incoming” traffic. Commands are usually generated by rules or UI and acted on bindings for “outward” effects.

Im fairly certain i have tried with updates also same result, but ill give it another go when i get home.

Is there some way to get the state of a item?

If then it could be simplified to two rules.

Does the lamp change its state, when you use PaperUI?

You get the state of an item by simply compare to yourItem.state, e.g.

Remote1Button1.state

like in:

rule “Remote1Button1”
when
Item Remote1Button1 received command
then
if(Remote1Button1.state.equals(ON)
{
LivingRoomLamp1.sendCommand(ON)
}
else if(Remote1Button1.state.equals(OFF)
{
LivingRoomLamp1.sendCommand(OFF)
}
end

When i press the item button for the Lamp then yes they both work! i have not tried to click the buttons for the remote in PaperUI tho…

Would this also work?

rule "Remote1Button1"
when
then
    LivingRoomLamp1.sendCommand(Remote1Button1.state)
end

Or you cant pass .state into sendCommand?

The state is what the Item has now.
Depending how the item is configured and what bindings it may have, an external device may send updates to this state.

A Command is something you (or a rule) sends to an Item.
Depending how the item is configured and what bindings it may have, sending it a Command may or may not change the state, and may or may not result in something being sent to an external device.

If you really want to send Commands to your remote, there is a “magic variable” called receivedCommand available inside a rule. (which is different from state, as discussed above)

rule "Remote1Button1"
when
then
    if (receivedCommand == ON) { 
 - - -

You should investigate looking into the logs that Openhab makes, you can see what updates and commands actually happen in response to your rules, UI, and external devices.

Ok thanks then ill try with LivingRoomLamp1.sendCommand(receivedCommand) when i get home as that should forward the command.

I don’t know why you expect to see commands. I would expect an Item linked to a remote handset to receive updates from it. Sending a command from Openhab to a remote handset makes little sense. No need to guess though, you can find out what it does by looking in the logs.