Samba configuration: chown: cannot access '/opt/openhab/conf': No such file or directory

• Platform information: RASPBERRY PI 4
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version:
  • Issue of the topic: chown: cannot access ‘/opt/openhab/conf’: No such file or directory
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:

Hi.
I try to follow this instruction:

to have access to config file from my RaspberryPI with openhabian to my ubuntu laptop.
At this point:

sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /etc/openhab /opt/openhab/conf

the terminal says:

openhabian@openhabian:~ $ sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /etc/openhab /opt/openhab/conf
chown: cannot access '/opt/openhab/conf': No such file or directory

Anyone have experience in that? How I can access to config file from my ubuntu laptop?
Thank you and regards.

That command is not clear. But it means you should run either

sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /etc/openhab

or

sudo chown -hR openhab:openhab /opt/openhab/conf

depending on how openHAB itself was installed (via apt or manually). You’ve installed via apt so you don’t have an /opt/openhab/conf folder.

according to the manual page more than one directory can be used as parameter.

According to the prompt

I would expect that the installation is done using an openhabian image / apt installation.
Thus /opt/openhab/conf is not made available in the standard openhabian installation.

What would you like to do ?
The title says something about samba configuration - the content of your post does not really refer to a samba question.
As you use openhabian it might be easier to use the openhabian-config menu to do the samba setup/tuning.

Sorry guys if I expose not well my question. The problem is to access to my files of openhabian in ubuntu. I follow the documentation as I post. Sorry bur really the documentation is not clear. Again I’m a new user, I want to migrate from OA and really at the moment I’m having a bad experience with openHab! But anyway let’s try to be constructive because I think I’m not the only that had the problem. If someone that have openhabian have to follow a different way to configure Samba why don’t correct the documentation an write better that? If someone know exactly hot to do is possible to update the documentation then the following people that read it will not have the problem?

Thank you and regards.

Ultimately, the error you saw is no error at all. You don’t have a folder /opt/openhab/conf so there is nothing to chown there. You should not have such a folder if you installed using apt. So continue with the remaining instructions.

Make your life easier …
The documentation you posted is valid for any linux installation …
As you use openhabian use menu entry 16 to install / setup samba. It is preconfigured and should be easier than doing it from scratch which of course will work, too.

1 Like