Second button press not reaching openHAB? (homematic binding)

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 B/1 GB/SD
    • Java Runtime Environment: OpenJDK 17.0.9
    • openHAB version: 4.1.0

I’m having issues with a MAX! Eco Switch from eQ-3 using the homematic binding.

There are 2 channels (switches), one for each of the buttons. Pressing a button correctly sends a 1 to homegear each time, this is from the homegear log:

01/26/24 18:20:33.824 Module MAX: Info: PRESS on channel 1 of peer 4 with serial number MKF0065430 was set to 0x10.
01/26/24 18:20:43.087 Module MAX: Info: PRESS on channel 1 of peer 4 with serial number MKF0065430 was set to 0x10.

The switch item in openHABwhich initially is NULL gets updated to ON once. The next press does nothing in openHAB (source: frontail logs). I guess this is because there is no state change - the item state was ON and is still ON but will never be set to OFF.

I could probably just do postUpdate(OFF) in my js-rule, but I would prefer to not depend on the rule.
Is there any possibility to ‘force’ the update so I’m receiving the event even if the state is the same as the current item state?

I’m currently not sure if the issue is with the binding not sending the event to openHAB or if openHAB ignores it because the states do already match. In the second case, maybe channel link profiles could help?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Updates are not logged to events.log. You can edit log4j2.xml to show them if you want to but there are a lot of Item updates constantly happening. That’s why logging them is turned off by default.

Are you sure it’s not receiving an update to ON on the second press? I don’t know the homematic binding but I would have expected these to come across as commands in the first place. Truth be told, this should be an Event Channel really and not linked to an Item at all.

But assuming it is just updating the Item, you can trigger on “received update ON” and the rule will trigger even if the Item is already ON.

You can use Expire to set the Item back to OFF a few seconds after it changes to ON (Expire has a minimum expiration time).

No, those won’t really help here I think.

1 Like

Thanks for your swift reply - you’re absolutely right. The update trigger works. I should have just tried setting up a rule in the first place instead of relying on the logs. (and probably would have if I would not develop rules remotely for my father :slight_smile: )