Semantic model loop detected in UI, not when loading items file

When accidentally creating a loop in the semantic model for a Group Item (made it member of itself while mass-editing) with an .items file, no error/warning was logged. Only when I selected the Locations-tab in MainUI an error was displayed:

A a loop has been detected in the semantic model: alarmSystem is both descendant and parent of alarmSystem. Please correct and refresh.

BTW, also notice the grammar error in the message (“A a loop”). :grin:

For completeness, the offending line in the .items file was:

Group alarmSystem "Alarmsysteem" <siren> (alarmSystem) ["AlarmSystem"]

I would have suspected the check to be done at file load time. Created an issue.

UPDATE: It looks like when removing the offending group membership from the Items file and triggering a reload by saving it, an error entry appears in openhab.log:

ERROR] [s.internal.SemanticsMetadataProvider] - Recursive group membership found: alarmSystem is both, a direct or indirect parent and a child of alarmSystem.

@Lolodomo I noticed you worked on the logic to only remove/re-create an item defined in an `.items file if it has changed. Could it be related to that change and only validated under specific conditions?

No sorry I was not involved in such a change.

My bad. I was browsing through some PR’s and thought I saw your name… will have a better look.