Serial binding not showing received string from serial port

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: eeePC i.e. ATOM N270 CPU, 2GB RAM. Planning move to RaspberryPI4 later
    • OS: 32-bit Windows 10 Pro, eeePC does not support 64-bit
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu 11.0.14
    • openHAB version: 3.4.1
  • Issue of the topic: I am running rollershutters from Selve through a serial interface.
    The serial binding is working as I can control the rollershutters from OpenHAB successfully.
    In the next step I am trying to read the rollershutter position which is sent back through the serial port.
    I can see the messages when connecting to the serial port with hterm.
    I configured an item in an attempt to see the received string and from there write a rule to extract the position of the rollershutter.
    I think I am doing a very simple stupid mistake but I don’t get a hand on it.
    Therefore the communities help is very much appreciated.
    I prefer textual configuration over GUI-configuration.
  • My configurations are looking the following:
    • Binding and thing:
      Bridge serial:serialBridge:SerialCOM3 “Serial Bridge Commeo” [serialPort=“COM3”, baudRate=115200, dataBits=8, stopBits=1, parity=“N”] {
      Thing serial:serialDevice:SerialCOM3:SerialDeviceCommeo “Serial Device Commeo” [patternMatch=“<m” ] {
      Channels:
      Type string : SelveEmpfangsString

Type rollershutter : RollladenDGStrasseRechts [upValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>0</int><int>1</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", downValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>0</int><int>2</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", stopValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>0</int><int>0</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>"]

Type rollershutter : RollladenDGStrasseLinks [upValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>1</int><int>1</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", downValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>1</int><int>2</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", stopValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>1</int><int>0</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>"]

Type rollershutter : RollladenDGGartenRechts [upValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>2</int><int>1</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", downValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>2</int><int>2</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", stopValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>2</int><int>0</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>"]

Type rollershutter : RollladenDGGartenLinks [upValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>3</int><int>1</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", downValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>3</int><int>2</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>", stopValue="<methodCall><methodName>selve.GW.command.device</methodName><array><int>3</int><int>0</int><int>1</int></array></methodCall>"]
      	}
      }

• Items configuration:
      String Test_item “Test Item [%s]” { channel=“serial:serialDevice:SerialCOM3:SerialDeviceCommeo:SelveEmpfangsString” }

• Sitemap configuration:
      none yet

• Rules code:
      none yet

• Services configuration:
      none

Solution found with correct definition of the channel for the item.
Must look like:
String Test_item “Test Item [%s]” { channel=“serial:serialBridge:SerialCOM3:string” }

The item had been assigned to the serial device rather than to the bridge itself.