Setup HUSBZB-1 (EMBER EM35x Coordinator) Help Please

280 │ Active │ 80 │ 1.0.13 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee
281 │ Active │ 80 │ 1.0.13 │ com.zsmartsystems.zigbee.dongle.ember
284 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0.201807081945 │ org.openhab.binding.zigbee.ember
285 │ Active │ 80 │ 2.4.0.201807081945 │ org.openhab.binding.zigbee

Twins!

Finally, after removing, resetting the bulbs themselves and then re-discovering, they now work again. I hope it will all work better now.
Thanks once again, @5iver for your help.

This version of the binding definitely works better for Ember coordinators than the release version, but I still have bulbs dropping occasionally. They are pretty crumby bulbs, but GE sent me replacements under warranty, so I have lots of spare crumby bulbs. :roll_eyes:

I recommend a 6’ USB extension cable to keep the usb device further away. I’m using the Raspberry Pi and doing this, and is all working very well.

Remove the thing, then perform a reset as per the manufacturer’s manual instructions for that device.

CdJackson told me it (Zigbee binding) should be Hardware Control, and set the baud rate to 57600. It has been working perfectly for me. You’ll find when setting to “software control” your zigbee devices will not work.

Yes, that too worked for me. Once reset and paired with this coordinator, it should “remember” going forward.

You are probably using different hardware. For this device, HUSBZB-1, flow control should be set to software. Myself and others with the HUSBZB-1 are using it this way, and it is definitely working. It’s also specified in the documentation…

I’m using the HUSBZB-1, too.

Based on the documentation and other posts, I’m guessing @chris misstated the flow control setting in this post…

@5iver, I see. Since I’ve had it set to Hardware Control without issues, what do you advise?

When the flow control was first added, It defaulted to hardware, and everything seemed to be working for me. When asked which to use, @chris suggested software, so I’d suggest to use the same. :slight_smile:

Correct - it should be XON//OFF flow control when running at 57600 and RTS//CTS when running at 115200.

Generally, for the slower speed it doesn’t matter, which is why for the HUSBZB it probably isn’t making any difference - for the higher speed, it does matter and needs to be set correctly or the Ember coordinator won’t work.

I have put a 3’ USB extension cable, moved the box away from the WiFi and also upgraded my linux version. I am not sure if the latter does help, but after a reboot and turning off and on the lights, both lightbulbs reconnected after a few minutes and are operable.

Let’s hope it stays that way.

FYI: When I set the Ember coordinator to RTS/CTS at 115200 baud, it never comes online. Restarting OpenHAB and waiting also does not make it come online. I’ve found 5700 baud is the only setting that makes it comes online.

Correct - the HUSBZB will ONLY work at 57600 unless the firmware is changed. Sorry if I confused you earlier - my comment was relating to Ember coordinators where there are two different firmware versions - one running at 57600 with XON//OFF, and another running at 115200 with RST//CTS. Depending on the firmware that is running in your device, you must use the correct setting.

I know this is an old thread, I am sorry to revive it. I am late to the Zigbee party, having just purchased my HUSBZB last week, and then spent a good portion of this weekend banging my head against the keyboard trying to get it working. From information I found in this thread, and a different thread saying that someone had success after un-installing all the Zigbee bindings and starting over it worked, I had the same experience. I suspect that if I had added openHAB to the TTY group, and added the extra java option, I would have been up and running a bit quicker. Would putting a note in the Zigbee Binding Addon document mentioning the TTY group and the EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS part make it easier and less stressful for future newcomers. If others think it would be helpful, who should I talk to about updating the doc?
Thank you

I believe those items are in the installation sections for the different platforms but perhaps a note in the binding document could help folks. Thanks for the offer to pitch in and help! here is a link to the git for the page in question

and here is a little tutorial on how to contribute to the documentation

looking for help to get me over the hump.

Have Openhab 2.4.0 running in docker on QNAP NAS and am trying to install the HUSBZB-1 but cant get tty/USB1 or 0 to show up. Have reset, re-inserted the dongle and added opehab dialout and openhab dialout but still nothing. I have attempted to add the java script to a txt file in etc/default but I don’t seem to have that. I do have etc/default_config but does not contain a openahb dir.

I also get output about that I already have insmod /usr/local/modules/cdc-acm.ko
Thank you

Andrew, Thank you. When I have the time, I will take a shot at it.

Brian, does openhab run under its own user, or under a docker user? If it is under a docker user, that user would need to be in the dialout group. Are you passing /dev/ttyUSB# through to your container?
The docker install page https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/docker.html talks about passing the device through to the container and mentions extra java opts.

I finally got the device working in my system after reading lots and lots of posts so I thought I’d share my experience.

I’m running openhab 2.4 via docker via unraid.

First, I had to enable the usb device for the container. This is accomplished in Unraid by updating the container settings and selecting “Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label, or Device”.
Config type: Device
Name: anything you want (I chose zigbee usb)
Value: the usb location (mine was /dev/ttyUSB1). If you want to add the zwave controller too, also add ttyUSB0

Next, we need to set the environment variable EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS to the following:
-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyS0:/dev/ttyS2:/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyAMA0:/dev/ttyUSB1
In unraid, click “add another path, port…”
Config type: Variable
name: anything
Key: EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS
Value: -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyS0:/dev/ttyS2:/dev/ttyACM0:/dev/ttyAMA0:/dev/ttyUSB1

In openhab, here are the settings used for the binding:

Just to be clear, I’m an openhab novice myself, but I hope this is useful for someone in the future.

2 Likes

I am having no luck under docker

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: amd64 docker image
    • Java Runtime Environment: Whatever docker snapshot has
    • openHAB version: 2.5.0
  • Issue of the topic:

Unable to detect nortek dongle for either communication protocol. “Offline - Communication Error”

The dropdown under the controller/coordinator does not show any serial dropdown like i see on videos. Im guessing something is missing. I have read over and over all the docs with no luck. Here is what i tried

• Added openhab to groups: openhab tty dialout audio bluetooth
  • Confirmed serial device is using proper driver “cp210x” with “dmesg | grep tty”
    [ 5.148772] usb 1-1.1.3: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0
    [ 5.160085] usb 1-1.1.3: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB1
  • Added EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS=-Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyUSB1
  • Docker device passed: --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 and --device=/dev/ttyUSB0
  • Alternatively tried passing devices as volume path as well seperately
  • Added zigbee as Port=/dev/ttyUSB1, flow control=software, baud=57600
  • Checked to see if docker can see the file using "docker exec -it openhab ls -lisa /dev/ttyUSB*
  • Checked docker uid and gid, both are 1000 (openhab)
  • Changed udev rules to 666 for ttyUSB[0-9]

Logs:

==> /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-omv-Raid-part1/openhab/userdata/logs/events.log <==
2019-12-30 09:15:48.851 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from UNINITIALIZED to INITIALIZING
2019-12-30 09:15:48.858 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' has been updated.
2019-12-30 09:15:48.860 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' has been updated.
2019-12-30 09:15:48.861 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' has been updated.
2019-12-30 09:15:48.864 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' has been updated.
2019-12-30 09:15:48.865 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from INITIALIZING to UNKNOWN
2019-12-30 09:15:48.865 [nt.FirmwareStatusInfoEvent] - Firmware status of thing zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b changed to UNKNOWN.

==> /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-omv-Raid-part1/openhab/userdata/logs/openhab.log <==
2019-12-30 09:15:49.864 [ERROR] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - Unable to open Ember serial port

==> /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-omv-Raid-part1/openhab/userdata/logs/events.log <==
2019-12-30 09:15:49.865 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from UNKNOWN to OFFLINE: Failed to open communications port
2019-12-30 09:15:49.866 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from OFFLINE: Failed to open communications port to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR)

==> /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-omv-Raid-part1/openhab/userdata/logs/openhab.log <==
2019-12-30 09:15:50.867 [ERROR] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - Unable to open Ember serial port

2019-12-30 09:15:50.868 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR) to OFFLINE: Failed to open communications port
2019-12-30 09:15:50.869 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from OFFLINE: Failed to open communications port to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR)

2019-12-30 09:15:55.869 [ERROR] [zigbee.dongle.ember.ZigBeeDongleEzsp] - Unable to open Ember serial port

2019-12-30 09:15:55.870 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR) to OFFLINE: Failed to open communications port
2019-12-30 09:15:55.871 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - 'zigbee:coordinator_ember:d407648b' changed from OFFLINE: Failed to open communications port to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR)

Is the whole string needed or was that just copy paste from docs?

I would think all you need is -Dgnu.io.rxtx.SerialPorts=/dev/ttyUSB0:/dev/ttyUSB1