Setup your own openhab-cloud (myopenhab) server/instance

What’s the output with --trace-warnings, and what version of mongodb are you using?

Actually i get no output / warnings:

sudo node app.js -- trace-warnings
{}

But it seems like it is still not working:

curl http://localhost:3000
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 3000: Connection refused

this is the version:

db version v3.6.8

So not entirely sure why, but the only way I’ve been able to make this work is by building the docker container directly. Running native or a pulled docker image have both failed with the errors. I’m back up, but it wasn’t the most fun thing.

There should be no space between the dashes and the ‘trace-warnings’:

sudo node app.js --trace-warnings

sorry, my mistake - i tried again, but no changes:

sudo node app.js --trace-warnings
{}

is it normal that the command “keeps running” and i cant enter the next command?

Hallo all,

I have installed the Version 1.0.12 of openhab cloud with node7 but i only can read my items an dont Change it. Wheres the error?

Sorry, unfortunately I did not solve the problem. My cloud is still not running.
I was hoping that an updated version would be made available somehow :slight_smile:

Hi - there was an issue for the Mongoose versions. Refer here: node.js - Warning: Accessing non-existent property 'MongoError' of module exports inside circular dependency - Stack Overflow

npm install mongoose@5.12.1 

Hi All,
After following the guide, I am able to setup the OH Cloud.
However, I am only able to access the instance using the IP Address of my server but no domain name.

I am able to access the default nginx site on https without any issue but just when I try to open the site with 3000 as port, it won’t show up and throws the error:

Am I missing anything here?

I have opened a new discussion regarding this at the following URL:

HI dastrix80 hope your doing well. i’m facing the same issues. can you please share with me how to set up the config.js? thank you

I never set it up in the end, it just flat out didnt work… too difficult with no documentation

I uploaded my nginx configuration at

My config.json is as follows:
config.json.txt (1.5 KB)

oh thank you in fact i need to acces openhab local via the link “Your openHAB is online. [Click here to access your openHAB’s dashboard]”.

Reaching out to this thread to try to confirm a couple of questions:

1. Does running my own openhab cloud server give me the ability to bypass openhab.org and still enable Alexa skill?
  2. Are there updated install instructions that work with ‘current’ git pulls, as I’ve tried several variations against a freshly built AWS ubuntu server and can’t get it to work. I can get a working nginx instance with http/https and valid certificates working, but can’t get the openhab-cloud to work. Mostly the same issues I’ve seen detailed in this thread, but then worked through those and fail to get the openhab-cloud to be served up by nginx.

Yes, your own openhab cloud server is based on the same code - so it offers the same capabilities.

That is a general statement and it is impossible to help here as there is no error message nor any information what is not working.

Even in case you say that your nginx instance is working it still could be the reason why your openhab-cloud instance does not work. Does not necessarily mean that the openhab-cloud part is the problem.

I’ve run through the instructions verbatim on AWS AMIs of:
Ubuntu 22.04, (so many erorrs, and it hated the new version of mongodb)
Ubuntu 20.04, (had to manually update nodejs to 14 as it wasn’t seen with normal apt-get update / apt-get upgrade. Then running sudo node app.js would throw a warning: (node:20991) Warning: Accessing non-existent property ‘MongoError’ of module exports inside circular dependency
(Use node --trace-warnings ... to show where the warning was created)

The node app.js just returns to terminal prompt after that warning, not sure if that is expected and that a running instance is out there, but trying to curl http://localhost:3000 afterwards fails to connect, so I am assuming that sudo node app.js shouldn’t just drop back to prompt.

I tried npm install mongoose@5.12.1 after that and it got rid of the MongoError warning, but still won’t spin up the myopenhab port 3000 site.

Not sure what else to try at this point, doing sudo node app.js --trace-warnings just returns to prompt with no errors.

Could anyone else please try a fresh install with the instructions against an AWS install and see if they can get it working and give me some pointers? Should be able to spin up one with a “Free Tier” account, which is what I’m doing.

Let’s say I sign the iOS openHAB app with my Apple key … can I republish the the same app with different name, upload to App Store and yet not causing licensing issue with openHAB foundation?

Publishing to the app store as a copy/clone/forgery would be difficult as Apple has strong rules against this, not to mention pretty disrespectful to our community and maintainers who have to support our app and now have to deal with a rouge version on the app store. As far as licensing, our name and logos are trademarked, but the code and app is completely open source (as is everything in our project by design).

I think a better option would be to (and what i do when developing) publish using test flight as a developer version, this lets you do all of the same things without dealing with the app store. Also I believe i read Apple is working on a alternative app distribution method to comply with EU laws, so that may come this year.

1 Like

@digitaldan thanks for your comments. The reason I’m asking that question is there could be features or modifications that OpenHAB IOS maintainers do not agree and yet they are important to my own users. How about using parts of the open source codes as spawn out from existing code base. Any legal implication if i make reference to OpenHAB foundation in about page and the long list of Eclipse license write ip.

This sounds rather hypothetical, and the project has been very accepting of additions. The IOS project would love to have more contributors and adding to the project rather then forking and maintaining another version sounds like a more responsible route. You mention “my own users” now, is this a commercial offering ? Also Apple has rules around copy cat apps, if they find a app that is a rebranded version of another app, its a violation of their terms.

Any legal implication if i make reference to OpenHAB foundation in about page and the long list of Eclipse license write ip.

I’m not a legal expert and cannot give council, the EPL has been around for a long time so there is plenty of information on it. The EPL specially has a clause about derivative works, which is what this sounds like (mostly a copy), see EPL-2.0 FAQ | The Eclipse Foundation.