Shelly Binding

My question is probably not completely related to the Shelly binding (which is awesome, that you for your work!) itself, but I’ll try anway: For Google Home to recognize rollershutters, I added the [“Blinds”] tag to my Fibaro Roller Shutter items like this:

Rollershutter Rollladen_EG_Esszimmer_Tuer "Rollladen Esszimmer [%d %%]" <rollershutter> (gRolllaedenEsszimmer) ["Blinds"] { channel="zwave:device:84f8a005:node4:blinds_control" }

Now I have added a few Shelly 2.5 which control my roller shutters. I added things and items via PaperUI. Now I am not sure how to add the tag to the item. It says “Blinds” in the category field in the items editor in PaperUI, but the shutters aren’t recognized by Google Home.

Does anyone know how to correctly add the Blinds tag? Or do I have to add the item via text files (and if so, how is that done with the Shelly binding?)?

Thanks in advance!

The only way by now to add tags to items created via PaperUI is through the REST Api.

I think HABmin could do that

Oddly, this is equivalent to <icon> in text config

Ah, ok.

Is there an example of how to configure Things and Items via text config files? I do prefer those over configuration via PaperUI. It’s just so much faster to change stuff etc. (yea, auto discovery is nice, but still I’d prefer text files). Thanks in advance.

How to configure Things and channels is binding dependent, so you’d need to more explicit.
How to configure Items you already know.

zwave binding is very reliant on device discovery for correct configuring, not best suited for text files.

As we are in the Shelly Binding thread I was actually talking about the Shelly Binding :slight_smile:

ok, @igi reminded me why we implemented that check: If you click the button the roller starts moving, if you click it again it stops for 1-2sec and then continuous moving in the same direction. That’s not good for the motor so I put in the check.

I changed the logic the following
when roller is moving (not stopped) and the requested direction is the same the command gets ignore
if the roller is moving and opposite direction is requested then the command goes through

1 Like

Thank you!

Do you have an example of how to set up things and items via text files? I would like to add the “Blinds” tag to my rollershutter items (so that they show up in Google Home), but it seems there is not way to add those if the items is created via PaperUI but via REST. Installing REST yesterday crashed my whole openHAB installation (I am now setting up fresh!), so I would actually like to set up the Shelly things and items via text files, if possible.

Not yet, I’m using the PaperUI approach and banned Alexa :slight_smile:
Maybe someone else could help?

did you checked HABmin?

if it’s helps you, here is a part of my rollershutters items file

as you can see, item that i want to be visible by google assistant are tagged [ “Blinds”]

//volets salon

Group volet_salon                                                                                            (volets_maison)

Rollershutter   ShellysalonRollerControl         "le volet du salon"                                         (volet_salon,volets_maison)   [ "Blinds" ]     {channel="shelly:shelly25-roller:68867a:roller#control"}  
Dimmer          ShellysalonRollerRollerpos       "volet du salon (100=open, 0=closed)"                                                                      {channel="shelly:shelly25-roller:68867a:roller#rollerpos"}
String          ShellysalonRollerLastDirection   "Last roller direction"                                                                                    {channel="shelly:shelly25-roller:68867a:roller#lastDirection"}
String          ShellysalonRollerStopReason      "Roller stop reason"                                                                                       {channel="shelly:shelly25-roller:68867a:roller#stopReason"}

1 Like

Thank you. Do you set up the things via PaperUI or do you have a things file as well?

no only items

check out the google assistant documentation https://www.openhab.org/docs/ecosystem/google-assistant/
You can add tags using the rest API:

curl -X PUT --header “Content-Type: application/json” --header “Accept: application/json” “http://localhost:8080/rest/items/[itemname]/tags/Lighting

or the console:

smarthome:items addTag MickTest Lighting

How did I miss that? I have about 50 shellies in my house and MQTT is killing me here… WIll try out ASAP!

so you are a good test candidate for the next release :slight_smile:

2.4.2-SNAPSHOT release notes (wip_2019-09-06_coap)

• Support for Shelly Flood
  • Support for Shelly EM (primarily)
  • Support for Shelly Dimmer (primarily)
  • Create special device (shelly-protected) when device is password protected
  • CoIoT/COAP support added (experimental, needs to be activated in thing config)
  • channel name meter.totalWatts changed to meter.totalKWH (returns kw/h, not Watts)
  • Roller: re-added OnOffType (so you could send OPEN or ON / CLOSE or OFF / STOP)
  • RGBW2: adjust numMeter (doesn’t report this as part of the device property) -> work around for meter.Watts missing
  • Sense: read IR code list for Sense from device rather than hard coded list
  • fixed update scheduling on exceptions (e.g. HT not reachable)
  • Activation of Channel Cache is delayed for 60s to make sure that Persinstence restore is already done
  • logging revised (include device name on most logs), more details about the bundle on startup

I’m going to close this release shortly. Let me know if you are aware of issues or have a small feature request.

This will be 2.4.2. After that I start re-factoring and get ready for PR submission. OH 2.5 will be release in December, I try to make it into this release.

3 Likes

Hi there! Thank you for developing this binding!

Unfortunately I had an issue trying to install the most recent shelly binding causing in an error of my existing config. All Z-wave devices got UNINITIALIZED after adding the shelly…jar manual installation procedure.
The Z-Wave binding is also a manually installed binding: org.openhab.binding.zwave-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

It took a while to get it back repaired with the following through Karaf:

feature:install openhab-transport-serial

After reboot, the Z-Wave Binding worked again as expected!

Hope this helps for troubleshooting. I will use the shelly’s 2.5 with MQTT until the binding is ready.

BR
Uwe

I‘m pretty sure that this was a side effect from another action,. I also run zwave and Shelly in parallel. Shelly doesn‘t deal with serial connections nor install/uninstalls any features or other modules/files. Maybe a cache problem?

I was emptying the cache and temp folders before and I also have stopped the openhab2 instance… Maybe some other hints how to try again adding the binding?

Do we need to recreate things/items to test this new snapshot?