Should openhab server be trying to connect to once (or more) per minute?

  • Platform information:
    • Hardware: raspberry pi 2
    • OS: openhabian
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 2.2

I’ve installed pi-hole on the same raspberry pi that my openhab install is on. I was browsing the recent queries in the pi-hole website and see that it is attempting both an ipv4 and ipv6 connection to once every minute. I know this is one of the repo for bindings but I’m not sure why it would be connecting so frequently. Once per minute is the average but there were a few times where it was thousands of hits within a very short time. Any thoughts? I might blacklist the site for now, see how the install continues running, then whitelist when I need to updated the openhab install.

I blacklisted 10 days ago and my openhab server is running fine, functioning normally, connected to openhab cloud with no issues. Still curious as to why it is trying to reach once every 60 seconds. Nothing in the openhab logs about it being blocked. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Shouldn’t it only being trying to reach the repo when manually requested not automatically? It is the top domain on the pi-hole dashboard with 36% of queries, even with all the browsing and therefore ad-blocking my family of 4 does.

Hi @Matt_Bianconi, is indeed the repository for addons and the artifacts that make up openHAB. It will connect when you try to update or install a binding.

It will also make a few requests when you use the command sudo apt-get update for the snapshot versions. As far as I am aware, openHABian routinely looks for package updates to display in it’s FireMotD.

Thanks for the info. I will check in with openhabian folks. Message of the Day makes sense to update periodically but maybe once per day instead of once a minute. Thanks again

hello, i’m having the same problem. there is about 3000 connections to every day. i can’t find the reason though

I believe it is the openhabian installation but I haven’t followed up on forums or github. I blocked the site using pi-hole with no issues to my openhab instance for the entirety month of March. When I wanted to update I just removed it from the blacklist during the apt update and upgrade. Everything ran fine and now I’m back to blocking it.

i “fixed” it by turning off the repo sync see here:

no more stress on the server (from my side) =) guess it’s a bug in the addon sync function. I’m on the openHAB 2.3.0 Build #1248 snapshot. i’m not using openhabian.

Great find! This might not qualify as a “bug” per se but maybe it ought to be reported for the more official contributing developers to be aware and potentially turn down the frequency or explain the rationale.