Should there be an error when a channel does exist?

A accidentally changed the channel information in a .items file but didn’t realize it at the time. Spent hours trying to determine why a certain light was not turning on. The log showed the command to the item turning on and then showed the item to be off. If we are sending a command to a channel that doesn’t exist - would it be reasonable to generate an error?

It’s currently up to the binding developer to decide whether or not to generate a log message in the Thing handler’s handleCommand method. Some bindings generate a DEBUG level log for unknown channels; some log at INFO level or greater; others don’t log at all.

Looking at the bindings I’ve written over the past couple years, I see that I’ve successfully covered all the above bases. :man_facepalming: In one case I log at WARN level, in another case I log at DEBUG level, and in some other cases I don’t log anything at all. :frowning:

So, to answer your question, yes I think it might make sense to generate a log message. Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s a central place where this can be done.

Hi Mark, so what does OH do if the binding itself does not exist?

It would be nice if this was standardized - ie the binding template included some default behavior that was consistent…

If you mean, what if you have an item that’s linked to a channel for a nonexistent binding. Like this:

Switch TestSwitch "Test Switch [%s]"  { channel="some:bogus:thing:sensor_binary" }

If you send a command to it you get… Crickets.

Yes it would.

WARN log is normally rejected by reviewers in such a case. Take a look to the coding rules, it explains when each log level should be used.

Yes, that was the exact problem… I had a working rule and all of a sudden a light wasn’t responding. Spend hours trying to figure out if the Insteon network was screwed up or if the device wasn’t working etc etc etc. and I noticed an extra character in the binding name…

Seems to me that “it’d be nice” if

1. openHAB reported (INFO?) if you define Item with channel=“rhubarb.blah”, and no rhubarb binding is loaded.
  2. individual bindings reported if they get passed garbage parameters.

Whether that is something to happen as Items are initialized or when the binding call is invoked though?