Show off your Overview Page

Not really, it would be an headache to deal with the existing.

It’s not that complicated really:

• the Home Page uid: home is to configure the home page as a whole (it is a special type of page, oh-home-page that only that page can use). It is not created until you save it once in the editor (otherwise it will use defaults).
  • the Overview page uid: overview is a standard oh-layout-page that is rendered in the first tab of the home page. It is created automatically by the setup wizard and cannot be deleted afterwards.

But I agree there could be a shortcut to edit the Overview page quickly from the home page itself, rather than having to go to Settings > Pages and finding it.

Thanks for explaining but having two “pages” that are actually one remains to be pretty unintuitive and confusing given that a number of even advanced users stumbled across, and I wouldn’t think improvements to the docs will be of much help here (many people don’t read those details anyway).
I also don’t get the point about your response “dealing with the existing”.
Having one place rather than two pages will be way more intuitive also to new users but if that’s too difficult to change in the codebase why can’t we at least change the “home page” label? That should not affect existing installs, should it.

I get your point but yet tabbed pages use the same principle - you reference other pages in the individual tabs and you design those pages separately.
The reason is partly a practical one: no reason to build a designer for the Overview page, or pages in a tabbed page, if they are just regular pages.

So it’s just something that should be made easier to understand:

Home Page
\-- Overview Page

Tabbed Page
|-- Page in Tab 1
|-- Page in Tab 2
\-- Page in Tab n

Here the same applies, it would be good if you could go straight to editing the “sub-page” when you press the Edit link from the tabbed page in View mode.

Labels are chosen when you create the page so if you decide on another label (or another UID) you’d have older instances with the old name or UID and others with the new ones, even if it’s only the label it’s not a very good look. That’s what I meant with “deal with the existing”.

Here is my overview page.
As i use OH 99% on my phone, i made some small expandable custom widgets.

3 Likes

My overview gives me direct one or two click access to most of the things that are likely to require manual interaction via cells that highlight if there’s something of note (speaker playing, lights on, door open etc.) and open some custom widget when clicked on. Many of those custom widgets have broad actions (turn off all lights, pause all speakers, lock all doors) for easy whole home checks when leaving.

A few additional simple widgets are included for specific things (like my wife needing to temporarily disable pi-hole when I’m not home to whitelist things for her). And at the bottom informational widgets that don’t require action but fill me in on status of various important devices.
overview

6 Likes