Single Tapo P100 suddenly stopped working (error code 1003)

Hi there!

I’ve a couple of Tapo P100 and P110 devices in my openHAB setup. Every single one of them I added manually in exactly the same way.

Without me changing anything, suddenly a few of them stopped working, i.e. I could not switch them on/off using openHAB. Even using the Tapo App I couldn’t switch some of them. Then, I disconnected them from power and reconnected them. All of them returned to operational state except one.

I did a factory reset of the the plug, I removed it from openHAB and added it again. That didn’t help.

I investigated further and saw in the logs very often:

2023-09-19 16:32:42.163 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P100:yyyyy:zzzzz' changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR):  (1003) to UNKNOWN:  (1003)
2023-09-19 16:32:42.163 [INFO ] [ab.event.ThingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - Thing 'tapocontrol:P100:yyyyy:zzzzz' changed from UNKNOWN:  (1003) to OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR):  (1003)

Do you have any hint how I can restore operation of the plug? Or any suggestions to see what is going wrong in detail? I found some information on the net that error 1003 should be a malformed JSON, so maybe it will help to turn on verbose logging – but I don’t know how.

Best regards,

Same here. There are two bugs on GitHub regarding this. It apparently not only affects the plugs.

Any info is greatly appreciated! The tapo plugs were the obvious choice on Amazon for example. I guess many people are affected by this bug currently?


Since the linked threads both are related to firmware updates, I’ve checked the firmware of the no longer working P100 plugs. Both have the version signature 1.2.1 Build 230804 Rel. 190922, hardware version 2.0. The Tapo App tells me that this is the latest firmware for the plug.

BUT: in the app’s profile there’s a firmware update section which tells me that for four of the P100 plugs there’s an updated firmware available with signature 1.4.18 Build 20230711 rel. 55651.

That’s really strange, because:

  • 1.2.1 Build 230804 Rel. 190922 seems to relate to 04.08.2023 with version 1.2.1
  • 1.4.18 Build 20230711 rel. 55651 seems to relate to 11.07.2023 with version 1.4.18

So, is there an old version with a higher version number?

Anyway, I’m hestiating to update the four other P100 plugs which still are working. So, I can only agree: would be nice to get an update here. I can help producing logs or checking if a bugfix works.

Looks like the issues we’re having here a related to a new encryption protocol. For Home Assistant there’s a patch available: Adding support for the new encryption protocol (updated version 2023) by sdb9696 · Pull Request #477 · python-kasa/python-kasa · GitHub

Tapo changed the protocol for some devices because of security reasons.
I had to rewrite the whole communication and uploaded a beta to my compiled-addons repository.
You can read anything here in the Binding-Support-Thread

1 Like

Thanks a lot for providing a fix :+1: