Smart lighting in a newly built house

@gregorij89 As you’re about to start from scratch, this is a valuable input:
wherever possible (at acceptable cost), centralize wiring. That is, build one hub or maybe one per floor level and put the actuators there and connect them with proper wiring to the lamps.
This will allow for free choice of actuator technology now and in the future without a need to rewire.
You could for example deploy either of KNX, ZWave and PLCs at the hub, and exchange tech if needed or beneficial.

I also recommend you read up a bit more on this forum (or other sources on home automation) to get a better feeling of what functionality to provide is reasonable and what is not.
Sure we all have wives that are hard (or impossible :smirk:) to convince but home automation always is a compromise.

2 Likes

You can certainly just use button events in Velbus to trigger other protocols, with a couple of easy rules / flows in openHAB2.

Even send LED feedback status updates back to any buttons.

Hello, a lot of really involved and inspiring advice. Thank you all for that. I am also not a fan of wireless solutions for core systems, so I´d rather go with the wired ones.

KNX and its derivatives look interesting. I have no knowledge nor experience in this field. The great advantage for technologies like this is, that it can be used not only for lighting but also for roller shutters, heating, etc. The downside is, that this technology is one of the expensive. On the other hand, if I searched correctly, commercial solutions like Velbus or Loxone are built on this. Unfortunately, I don´t think I can design solution based on KNX on the first shot, so even though I want to learn as much as possible, it will be cheaper in the long run to find someone local, who can help (e.g. someone with experience with such devices).

What I know for sure is, that I´ll do all wirings I can think of. So with lights for example, I am planning to do high voltage wiring as well as low voltage ones. Currently, I hope the CAT5 ethernet cable is sufficient for all low voltage wiring, so I can use it either as an ethernet cable in case of some “really smart” device, or use it as 4 pair communication platform between controller and devices. Second thing is, that I want to squeeze maximum from openHAB, so yes, I can imagine, that distant lamps or other non-ciritical sensors are connected to the system through openHAB, so the whole solution will be cheaper and much flexible.

But overall, I am glad that I´ve asked here. From the mood “I don´t know what to do” I´ve moved to the “Big mountain is ahead of me, so let´s beat it”, and that is good.

3 Likes

Nope, both are completely other products, this is no knx-like system.

In question of wiring, I would recommend at least CAT6a, better CAT7, although it’s terrible to install the connectors, especially if in-wall mounted (the wire is very inflexible, every pair has it’s own foil shield).
Don’t forget LAN at the ceiling (for WLAN Access points) some more behind your music and/or tv system (I installed 4 of them, but now there is a 5-Port GBit Switch - 7 Ports available and used…)
I even installed LAN to my bathrooms, but to be honest did not use them (yet). I also installed speakers in the ceiling, music starts with lights, volume and track is controlled via light switch (easy with openHAB :wink: ) and the playlist is changed via app (I’m using squeezelight as clients with the squeezeboxserver) the amp is beneath the server, so I did not need my LAN ports…