SmartThings and OH2?

I didn’t see anything about this file in the directions. I assume I install java, run the .jar file and restart Openhab2, and the binding should be there. Thanks for all your help. I tried Openhab years ago and thought it was to complicated. Since then I have been using Home Assistant for about the past 4 years. I recently started using Node Red for my automation and saw that I could use Node Red with Openhab also so I thought why not run them both since I have some extra Raspberry P3Bs laying around. I have everything working in Openhab except Smartthings, Tasmota. Thanks again for all your help. Once I get this done I will tackle Tasmota next.

Is the binding compatible with smarthings hub v3 ?

Still no luck. I put the file in the addons directory and restarted. No luck. I tried to run the .jar but got an error. Do you know of any clear instructions somewhere?

root@Office:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons#  java -version

openjdk version “10” 2018-03-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu10.1+11 (build 10+46)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu10.1+11 (build 10+46, mixed mode)
root@Office:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons#
root@Office:/var/lib/openhab2/tmp/mvn/org/openhab/addons# java -jar org.openhab.binding.smartthings-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
no main manifest attribute, in org.openhab.binding.smartthings-2.5.0-SNAPSHOT.jar

Java is a requirement of OpenHAB. Once java is installed, you really don’t need to worry about it.
Once you place the .jar file in your addons directory, you don’t have to try to ‘run’ the file. OpenHAB will see the the file in the addons directory and should make its functionality available in OpenHAB.
With all that said, I seem to remember having to get something working in the smartthings app before it would show up in OpenHAB. But… It was a long time ago
What worked for me is in one of those posts above

Hi everyone,

Due to an issue i have been having with google assistant lying to me, i decided to work around the issue and just get a SmartThings hub to handle the Google assistant interface, and use this binding to allow OpenHab to control other automation.

I seem to have gotten things up and running, more or less, i was able to find all the things connected to the ST hub, and i can control them from OpenHab.

what i can’t do though is receive status updates from the ST hub. Looking into the logs i see the following after first changing the state once via openhab and three times via SThub .

2019-11-05 00:17:34.345 [INFO ] [hings.internal.SmartthingsHttpClient] - Sent message “{“capabilityKey”: “switch”, “deviceDisplayName”: “Living Room Ceiling Lights”, “capabilityAttribute”: “switch”, “value”: “off”}” with path “/update” to the Smartthings hub, recieved HTTP status 202

2019-11-05 00:17:35.997 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler SmartthingsThingHandler of thing smartthings:switch:Home:LivingRoomCeilingLights tried updating channel switch although the handler was already disposed.

2019-11-05 00:18:40.737 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler SmartthingsThingHandler of thing smartthings:switch:Home:LivingRoomCeilingLights tried updating channel switch although the handler was already disposed.

2019-11-05 00:31:00.947 [WARN ] [.core.thing.binding.BaseThingHandler] - Handler SmartthingsThingHandler of thing smartthings:switch:Home:LivingRoomCeilingLights tried updating channel switch although the handler was already disposed.

Can anyone help me understand what is happening here, or what i can do to fix it?

I’m seeing the same thing - and it’s weird because it seems to be a race condition for me. Some times the items link up between SmartThings and OpenHAB, other times they don’t.

hi, one quick question, con i use the samsung smarthing as a gateway or antenna for the zwave and zigbee devices? offline mode?

Hi!

Im new in OH scene.
Id like to integrate my smartthings hub v3 EU to OH.

• ive coped the jar file into addon folder
  • ive setup smartthings classic app properly (device handler & smartapp)
  • In openHAB configuration/things i can add the hub with the right IP and port 39500
  • in the inbox the SEARCH FOR THINGS doesnt discovery the hub

Am i missed something, or do something wrong?
Hub V3 EU suported?

GS

Hi,
@Yusef_Davis
somehow I run into the same problem.
Copied the jar-file into the addon directory and do not see the Binding in PaperUI as described in the guide.
have you had luck with solving the issue in the meantime?

And in relation to Grandmaster.seven’s Question: I’ve that HUB (V3,EU), too

I gave up. I am using Home Assistant and have been very happy with it.

Thanks for answering. Not a answer i expected, But A very Good Hint.

Hi everyone… I have been reading lots on this forum but this is my first post.

I have OpenHab set up, and have the bridge to SmartThings connected successfully (I just selected the binding, added the IP address, easy!). I am struggling with scanning the devices.

An earlier post says to go to Inbox, then choose Scan from the bottom of the screen. I may be really stupid, but I cannot see an Inbox anywhere. I can see Settings->Inbox, which just seems to control inbox options. Where on earth is the actual inbox?

Many thanks – this seems to be so basic that it is not mentioned in help or from a google search.

Update: If I do an image search, I can see what looks like a home page with Inbox etc on it. I do not get that, my home page seems to be an administrative page with only settings (see pic). I cannot figure out how to get to the home page.

click the blue button in the lower right corner

Welcome!

Keep in mind that older posts are very likely referring to OH2, which used the PaperUI interface (with an Inbox). That’s no longer the case with OH3, so you may have to do some interpretation whenever you read anything more than a few months old. Unfortunately, that’ll be the case for awhile since we’re in a transition phase.

Russ, thanks - that clears a lot up. I hadn’t realised that 3.0 was so new. I thought I was going crazy!

Confusing that there is still Inbox->Settings and Inbox available in the openhab console, but I guess that is part of the transition.

Andrew, thanks. From Russ’s post I realise that Inbox is no longer used for OH3.0 so I figure Things->Blue(+) is the equivalent.

When I click that and select Scan, it does not pick up any of my devices connected via SmartThings. Is that to be expected? Do I need to add them manually by type, or do something else?

Sorry but it’s been forever and I only actually briefly used this binding when it was beta version previous to being merged into OpenHAB. Whatever I remember may not even be how it works now.
I think the devices are supposed to be discovered. Maybe check out the documentation. It says they are. Check your log, you should see traffic between your ST hub and OpenHAB

Sounds like a known issue.

Thanks Russ. I clearly need to get better at searching!

For anyone else who comes across this, the thread that Russ references contains a link to very clear instructions on how to set up the SmartThings bridge (this involves creating a SmartService and Device Handler in SmartThings API).

1 Like