SmartThings and OH2?

Thanks for answering. Not a answer i expected, But A very Good Hint.

Hi everyone… I have been reading lots on this forum but this is my first post.

I have OpenHab set up, and have the bridge to SmartThings connected successfully (I just selected the binding, added the IP address, easy!). I am struggling with scanning the devices.

An earlier post says to go to Inbox, then choose Scan from the bottom of the screen. I may be really stupid, but I cannot see an Inbox anywhere. I can see Settings->Inbox, which just seems to control inbox options. Where on earth is the actual inbox?

Many thanks – this seems to be so basic that it is not mentioned in help or from a google search.

Update: If I do an image search, I can see what looks like a home page with Inbox etc on it. I do not get that, my home page seems to be an administrative page with only settings (see pic). I cannot figure out how to get to the home page.

click the blue button in the lower right corner

Welcome!

Keep in mind that older posts are very likely referring to OH2, which used the PaperUI interface (with an Inbox). That’s no longer the case with OH3, so you may have to do some interpretation whenever you read anything more than a few months old. Unfortunately, that’ll be the case for awhile since we’re in a transition phase.

Russ, thanks - that clears a lot up. I hadn’t realised that 3.0 was so new. I thought I was going crazy!

Confusing that there is still Inbox->Settings and Inbox available in the openhab console, but I guess that is part of the transition.

Andrew, thanks. From Russ’s post I realise that Inbox is no longer used for OH3.0 so I figure Things->Blue(+) is the equivalent.

When I click that and select Scan, it does not pick up any of my devices connected via SmartThings. Is that to be expected? Do I need to add them manually by type, or do something else?

Sorry but it’s been forever and I only actually briefly used this binding when it was beta version previous to being merged into OpenHAB. Whatever I remember may not even be how it works now.
I think the devices are supposed to be discovered. Maybe check out the documentation. It says they are. Check your log, you should see traffic between your ST hub and OpenHAB

Sounds like a known issue.

Thanks Russ. I clearly need to get better at searching!

For anyone else who comes across this, the thread that Russ references contains a link to very clear instructions on how to set up the SmartThings bridge (this involves creating a SmartService and Device Handler in SmartThings API).

1 Like