[SOLVED] Bindings disappeared

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: CPUArchitecture/RAM/storage VM 4 core, 2gb ram 32gb HDD
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version 1.8.0_191
    • openHAB version: Openhab2 2.4.0-1

im trying to learn openhab and this particular setup is purely for learning so i was trying to install the bindings in the gui then do the rest with the config files rather than using gui.

i got it running with the NTP plugin and the systeminfo plugin after a bit of back and forth.

i have a
testing.sitemap
testing.items
testing.things

everything was working fine.

i then tried to get the weather plugin working using new files

weather.items
weather.config
weather.sitemap

after reading various posts and troubleshooting i found a similar post suggesting

Blockquote
Delete your /var/lib/openhab2/config/org/openhab/weather.config and try with only 1 location in your /etc/openhab2/services/weather.cfg (fix .cfg, then delete .config)
Check also if you have listed the weather binding in your /etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfg : binding = weather1 (you need to add the 1 )
Blockquote

So i did this, (renaming instead of deleting) and rebooted

and my weather plugin started working perfectly :slight_smile:

but i found it had stopped everything else working and all my bindings and everything else except the weather binding has gone from the gui?? :frowning:

thinking this has something to do with openhab v1 vs v2 bindings i then deleted the binding = weather1 from the addons.cfg and my weather plugin is still working but not my other plugins, seems i will need to reinstall the bindings.

Im now going to do that but i just wondered if anyone can advise what i did wrong or why this happened?

i realize im still very much lacking basic understanding so just trying to fill in the gaps as best i can.

After playing with these plugins i may do a fresh install because ultimately I would like to get familiar with the snmp and the knx plugins and put them to real world use. i figured starting with sysinfo, weather and ntp was enough to begin with. If you can suggest any other stepping stones to use with this install that would help me before tackling snmp and knx let me know.

thanks

B

If you add your bindings to the addons.cfg file it will take precendence over the paperUI and on the next restart ONLY install those binding in the addons.cfg.

Any binding you install via paperUI will not be installed on the next startup

So you either need to put ALL your bindings in the addons.cfg or none.

I sometimes add a binding via paperUI and if it works I add it to the addons.cfg before I restart OH so that it will remain.

ahh great thanks

that explains it.