[SOLVED] Design Pattern: Rule Disable: Trouble getting the Thing conditions right

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model 3 B+
    • Java Runtime Environment: “I still have to learn how to see this”
    • openHAB version: 2.5.0-1
  • Issue of the topic: I want to disable an expire rule as long as the chromecast is online and I am getting an error in the log file that prevents the rules file to be loaded.
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
      Things:
      Thing zwave:device:bfd6ea92:node3 “Vardagsrum_Dimmer” @ “Vardagsrum”
      Thing chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb “Vardagsrum_TV_Chromecast” @ “Vardagsrum”

Items:
      Switch Vardagsrum_Timer “Vardagsrum Timer” (Vardagsrum) { expire=“15m,command=OFF” }
      Dimmer Vardagsrum_Dimmer “Vardagsrum Dimmer” (Vardagsrum) [“Lighting”] {channel=“zwave:device:bfd6ea92:node3:switch_dimmer”}
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
      rule “Turn off the Dimmer when Timer goes off”
      when
      Item Vardagsrum_Timer changed from ON to OFF
      then
      if(Thing “chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb” != ONLINE) return
      Vardagsrum_Dimmer.sendCommand(OFF)
      end
    • Services configuration related to the issue
      addons.cfg:
      package = standard
      remote = true
      legacy = true
      binding = chromecast , expire1 , kodi, mqtt , ntp , zwave
      ui = basic , classic , habpanel , paper
      persistence = rrd4j
      transformation = map
      misc = openhabcloud , ruleengine
    • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:
      Configuration model ‘default.rules’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [29,8]: no viable alternative at input ‘Thing’ [29,14]: missing ‘)’ at ‘“chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb”’

Please use code fences so formatting does not get altered by the forum software.

How to use code fences - Tutorials & Examples - openHAB Community

I have been using code fences around all the extracts

If you did, tis line would look like

if(Thing “chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb” != ONLINE) return

with a horozontal scroll bar, if needed

That’s nonsense.
Perhaps getThingStatusInfo() is what you need here.

• Platform information:
  • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model 3 B+
  • Java Runtime Environment: “I still have to learn how to see this”
  • openHAB version: 2.5.0-1
  • Issue of the topic: I want to disable an expire rule as long as the chromecast is online and I am getting an error in the log file that prevents the rules file to be loaded.
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
  • Items configuration related to the issue
    Things:
Thing zwave:device:bfd6ea92:node3                            “Vardagsrum_Dimmer”        @ “Vardagsrum”
Thing chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb “Vardagsrum_TV_Chromecast” @ “Vardagsrum”

Items:

Switch        Vardagsrum_Timer                “Vardagsrum Timer”                         (Vardagsrum)                { expire=“15m,command=OFF” }
Dimmer        Vardagsrum_Dimmer               “Vardagsrum Dimmer”                        (Vardagsrum) [“Lighting”]   {channel=“zwave:device:bfd6ea92:node3:switch_dimmer”}
  • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
  • Rules code related to the issue
rule “Turn off the Dimmer when Timer goes off”
when
then
end
  • Services configuration related to the issue
    addons.cfg:
package = standard
remote = true
legacy = true
binding = chromecast , expire1 , kodi, mqtt , ntp , zwave
ui = basic , classic , habpanel , paper
persistence = rrd4j
transformation = map
misc = openhabcloud , ruleengine
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:
Configuration model ‘default.rules’ has errors, therefore ignoring it: [29,8]: no viable alternative at input ‘Thing’ [29,14]: missing ‘)’ at ‘“chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb”’
1 Like

Where should I put this? In the Rule or in the beginning of the Rule file? How would that help solving the error with the missing ‘)’ ?

Because, as rossko57 indicates,

if(Thing “chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb” != ONLINE)

is meaningless. But Thing is a reserved word that has a meaning but it doesn’t belong there so it is expecting something that doesn’t exist.

In short, that line is all kinds of wrong and the Rules parser doesn’t have a clue what to do with it.

Searching the docs for “getThingStatus” brings you to Actions | openHAB with a full description of how to use it.

I changed the rule to:

rule "Turn off the dimmer when Timer goes off"
when
then
    var thingStatusInfo = getThingStatusInfo("chromecast:chromecast:19a5f0d6d095e5c457bee08d5c7505fb")
	if ((thingStatusInfo !== null) && (thingStatusInfo.getStatus().toString() == "ONLINE")) return
end

And now I get this error instead:

Validation issues found in configuration model 'default.rules', using it anyway:
Void functions cannot return a value.

It’s just a warning so the Rule should run if not actually work.

Normally, you need to add a ; to the end of a return statement. That might cause this error.

return;
1 Like