[SOLVED] Dimmed color light buying

Hi,

My name is Josep Mencion and I’m doing a research project on home automation, running the last version of openHAB on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ connected to an Arduino MEGA by MQTT broker.

I would like to buy a dimmed and color light compatible with my openHAB sitemap, in order to be able to change the color or the brightness of the light.

I would like to know which options do I have, which is the cheapest, which types are there, and how would it work (Directly to the Raspberry Pi, by wi-fi, by the Arduino?).

Thank you very much for your helping,

Josep

Thank

Hi Josep,

For a cheap light which allows dimming and selecting various colours I’d recommend the MiLight bulbs at around $US 10 a pop, you also need the WiFi iBox bridge at around $US 15.

Together with the MiLight binding in openHAB, this will allow you to turn on and off the bulbs, change their brightness and colour from your sitemap.

Alternatively, but more expensive, you can go the Philips Hue route, again with the appropriate WiFi bridge and openHAB binding.

For a more self made direction there is always the MQTT/mysensors option and using self made RGBW LED strips.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

One other question, would it exist a color and brightness dimmed light by cable and not by wifi like the others?

Thank you very much!

Best,

Josep

I’m not quite sure what you mean. Which gateways can also be attached by ethernet cable, instead of just being able to use WiFi? Obviously the bulbs themselves work with radio, as they can be used in any available light fixture.

In this case the Ikea TRÅDFRI gateway and bulbs would be an alternative, where the gateways can also be connected by ethernet cable - as far as I know.