[SOLVED] ESP8285 WiFi RGB with IR + Tasmota not working with correct colors on OpenHab2

Right now I am using a Number type channel.

Since the value being sent is 0.42000000 I wanted to extract the 2 numbers after the point, basically that’s it.

Okay, if you want the Dimmer Item command to be treated like a dimmer, try using a dimmer channel. You get new options like min/max.

Actually I could only get those with a Number type, I didn’t had those with Dimmer.

Correction, I can’t even add here the Channel type Dimmer. I don’t have that in my options. Anyway, it should be very simple to convert with REGEX that decimal number and send it.

What is missing here?

Ah the “dimmer” channel is named “percent value” or somesuch by the binding.
People complained when using it for shutters, I think.

REGEX is not the way to do it because your number print format is not assured.

Ok, if I set Channel type to Number and then convert the item to Number as well instead of Dimmer, it works. Problem here is, I lose the scroll bar and get a field instead, which I don’t want that.

So we really must work with a Dimmer item type.

I just need then to know how can I translate the correct format to the MQTT.

That’s in PaperUI, which is only an administrator’s toolbox. You can have a proper slider with a Number Item in any of the proper user-facing UI.

But the best approach is to use Dimmer Item with “percent value” (dimmer) channel.

Problem is, I don’t have here any Dimmer channel type:
Screenshot_2020-03-14_11-58-33
Screenshot_2020-03-14_11-59-20

Yes, I keep saying this binding calls it “percent value”. I got that wrong. It calls it “Percentage value”.

You use the “Percentage value” channel with a Dimmer Item.

1 Like

Dude, you are a star! :smiley:

Thank you SO much for all your help. It works like a charm and yes, all due to an incorrect translation because if that was translated as Dimmer or, at least, something like “Percent value (e.g. Dimmer)” it would be SOOO much easier.

I agree, it’s poorly named and very confusing. Everything else in openHAB talks about Dimmers, including this binding docs.

I think it’s only this menu … once created, the channel says its a dimmer right?

That’s absolutely right. It says Dimmer. So even bigger confusion. So my suggestion to whoever has the power is to just change that for some future update.

2 Likes