[SOLVED] Failed downloading Marketplace entries: Received fatal alert: handshake_failure

getting lots of these tonight, any idea?

2018-09-22 22:15:45.277 [WARN ] [arketplace.internal.MarketplaceProxy] - Failed downloading Marketplace entries:  : Received fatal alert: handshake_failure
2018-09-22 22:15:45.281 [WARN ] [arketplace.internal.MarketplaceProxy] - Retrying again in a minute

same here

You guys are not the first:

Oh wow. I changed java version and have this problem. I thought it was me!
I’m amongst friends!

I sniffed it with wireshark and can see it’s a tls1.2 error-prone but been chasing the java angle…

I found a solution for this.

  1. Download the Java Cryptography Extension from here
  2. Unzip the contents - should contain a readme and two jars.
  3. Copy the jars to JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security or JAVA_HOME/lib/security For me this was “/usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/”
  4. restart your rpi.

The reason is that for some reason the cryptography changed for their server and by default it’s not supported.
Or something like that :slight_smile:


Yeah that worked. Nice one, thanks!

So interestingly, I switched java versions again to oracle in the attempt to solve another problem I have and this solution did not work.
Who here has done it and works with Oracle?

I use the standard OpenJDK version of Java with openHab and found, that the problem with the marketplace binding persists - even though I replaced the existing with the oracle *.jar files. A pity. - other seem to have the same problem - see this threat.

Anyone any further ideas? thx

I also get this error… and i did the steps mentioned in post #5 but i still get this error…

Is there a different way for openhabian users?


I did it on my openHABian Pi and it works. The OP’s post can be misunderstood, you have to copy both jars to /usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/security/ . And no reboot required, just a Java (=OH) restart.
If you’re not using Zulu Java or not ARM HW (RPis) then you need to find the correct directory equivalent for that on your system first.


thanks… that worked!

For anyone using Oracle JVM, I would expect that 8u161 and higher should bring the strong ciphers by default, see https://bugs.java.com/view_bug.do?bug_id=JDK-8170157.

For Zulu Embedded, which is used in openHABian, there’s also a crypto extension available from Azul Systems directly: https://www.azul.com/products/zulu-and-zulu-enterprise/zulu-cryptography-extension-kit/
So anyone still having issues might want to give that a try.

1 Like

I tried the suggestion in #5 combined with #12 and it’s working for me. Thanks @mstormi and @CDriver. Now I can tackle my next issue.

can anyone thats got this fixed in openhabian please post the code that they typed into ssh to get this done. im not really upto the play with ssh commands and I can’t find the directories in the folder shares listed above.

This indeed worked by default for me when I reinstalled Java from Oracle.

A workaround for this is the following:

  1. Find your plugin on MarketPlace
  2. Click on the download link - it’ll open a dialog with a URL in it. Copy said URL
  3. Past the URL into a browser and download the jar file.
  4. Copy the jar file into your addons folder in OH setup.

I did this for the two bluetooth plugins I had. I find it odd that there is a requirement on the website after the plugin is installed. After installing it you should be able to run “offline”.

The above is a workaround for you until you can solve the problem.

1 Like

This exception comes from a custom rule that you have set up in your system. Do you also see any other exceptions coming from openHAB itself?

For users using docker images, you can enable this (if legally allowed):

Hey there. Thanks for the tips - a quick feedback:

I use standard openHABian isntallation and tried the Azul Systems crytography extension kit. Replaced the existing *.jar files and restarted openhab2 from the shell.

Unfortunately I have still the same MarketplaceProxy error.

Found the solution - I was too eager and replaced the existing two *.jar files in their original position ( /usr/lib/jvm/zulu-embedded-8-armhf/jre/lib/security/policy/unlimited/ ). this didnt help.
Copying the new *.jar files exactly to the folder, which @CDriver pointed at originally ( / usr / lib / jvm / zulu-embedded-8-armhf / jre / lib / security / ) solved the problem.

/ usr / lib / jvm / zulu-embedded-8-armhf / jre / lib / security /
it worked for me. Thank you