[SOLVED] Installing openHAB on Debian 9 with x86_64 CPU: 32 or 64 Bit OS?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: x86_64 CPU
    • openHAB version: 2.3

Hi,

I’m verry new to openHAB, comming from pimatic, trying to install my first openHAB.

Because of reading about problems with 64-bit (z-wave, serial) I try to install openHAB on a 32-Bit Debian 9.
But I’ve problems on installig zulu or oracle-jave. It seems that there are no longer packages for Debian 9 32-bit.

Therefore, maybe it would be better to take the 64-bit version of Debian 9.

Has anyone experience and/or opinions and/or any further information for me?

BR
Markus

The only problems I’m aware of apply to the Raspberry Pi. You are running on an x86 so go for the 64-bit.

And even then, the instructions say to use the 32-bit Java Runtime Environment, not 32-bit Raspbian.

So please install 64-bit Debian and please install 64-bit Zulu since you are not running on an ARM processor.

Furthermore, I’d recommend following the Manual instructions for openHABian to get everything set up for you automatically. It isn’t just for Raspberry Pis.

THX Rich!

So, if nobody has a good reason why not, I’ll take the 64-bit.

Quick update:
At the moment, everything is running fine with 64-bit Debian and 64-bit Zulu.
Inclusive Z-Wave (z-way binding).

As a new user with the exact same worries, I’d appreciate if this was better clarified in the docs. :slight_smile:

I’m certainly open for suggestions. Right now in Prerequisites it says

Please use the 32-bit version of the JVM for ARM platforms, even on 64-bit operating systems. Serial connections won’t work with a 64-bit JVM, preventing bindings like Z-Wave from functioning.

As for the JVM version:

As for now, a pre-release Java 9 installation is not recommended and is not yet supported by openHAB 2.

Should be reworded to

“Please use Java 8. openHAB 2 is known not to work in later versions of Java.”

Which I just did:

2 Likes