[SOLVED]Looking up OpenHAB UUID and Secret

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Synology
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java8
    • openHAB version: 2.5.2
  • Issue of the topic:

Hey guys,
so yesterday I’ve installed OpenHAB 2 on my disk station, from Synology, together with Java. I already syccesfully connected my TV with the OpenHAB via my laptop. However, I want to connect the openHAB app on ios to it. I need to create an account on openHAB for that. Therefore I need an UUID and Secret. I already finded the UUID in: REST API --> uuid
but where is the Secret??

Likely follow the official documentation for that binding. Did you try that? :wink:

It hasn’t got anything to do with the binding. I need to login with my openHAB account on the official OpenHAB-app but to make a openHAB account I need to fill in an UUID and Secret… See this image:

That is for the openHAB cloud addon.

Location of UUID and Secret:

File Regular Installation APT Installation
UUID userdata/uuid /var/lib/openhab2/uuid
Secret userdata/openhabcloud/secret /var/lib/openhab2/openhabcloud/secret

From https://www.openhab.org/addons/integrations/openhabcloud/

Yes, I saw that aswell, but how can I fill in these paths/URL’s?

These paths are NO URL it’s a file on the system.

cat /var/lib/openhab2/uuid
cat /var/lib/openhab2/openhabcloud/secret

Quote from the doc

Both values are written to the local file system.

Which system do you mean? The openHAB system or the Synology system? Because I’ve read almost every piece of info about it but the problem where I get stuck is to look up these paths…

The system where openHAB is installed on :slight_smile:

Wait a second…
Your system is on Synology, right?

Then the paths are different. (assuming from the docs)

From the docs I would assume

cat /volume1/@appstore/openHAB2/uuid

And the other one hmm

cat /volume1/@appstore/openHAB2/userdata/openhabcloud/secret

I never had an openHAB setup on Synology that’s why I can only stick to the Synology doc

3 Likes

So again @Jim_Verspuij , Read the Fine Documentation!

Ehhh @Bruce_Osborne I can understand a non dev getting confused about that part.

The doc for cloud only documents the “Regular Installation” and “APT Installation”, but since Synology is neither of those I can understand getting lost in that process.

Know your tools and know your setup

is something we devs do but a normal user reads the doc for this specific binding/issue and does not see the connection between his “custom” Synology (which is not really custom) since for a normal user it’s a 1’click install.

I hope @Jim_Verspuij will find the files and share the paths for Synology so I can create a PR for the doc.

1 Like

@BrutalBirdie thanks for the effort, it is really appreciated! However, I get this message when I put this in my window for the SSH-connection …

This is pretty weird because when I remove the “/uuid”, than it tells me that there is no such file or directory

Take a look around the folder it has to be somewhere there.

or do a search

cd /volumeXYZ/@appstore/openHAB2/
find . | grep -i "uuid"
find . | grep -i "secret"

I have a Synology NAS (but I’m using docker not the package).

It might also be in /var/packages

A lot of Synology package related stuff goes there.

1 Like

The more I read and see about a Synology setup the more I dislike it…

3 Likes

But how do you get into the ''var" directory? Should it be directly in the “File Station”?

I entered the last 2 lines, it loads for like 5 seconds and then nothing happens…
when i enter the first line of code, it tells me there is no such file or directory

Common dude…

/volumeXYZ/@appstore/openHAB2/

XYZ is a placeholder.
Stop copy-pasting and start typing yourself.

1 Like

I’m afraid you cannot use File Station as it can only show you files in a “Shared Folder” (the directories in /volume1 that do not start with @).

You have to use the command line to get around the filesystem and look at files.

A tutorial like this might help you get started:

1 Like

This is what you meant right?