[SOLVED] [Lutron2] Broken dependency on OH2.4.0.M6

  • Platform information:
    • Hardware: Intel 64bit, 8 GB ram, 128 GB storage
    • OS: Ubuntu 18.04
    • Java Runtime Environment: Oracle JDK 8 191
    • openHAB version: 2.4 M6
  • Issue of the topic:
    I had a stable and running 2.3 setup.
    There were some new features and device support for Lutron and Xiaomi that I wanted and were included in the 2.4 Milestones

I tried updating my PPA and running apt update/upgrade

Open would fail to start with messages about not being able to find the Lutron bundle.

reverting to 2.3 would correct that and OH would start and run.

I then removed OH with apt remove and deleted all files listed in

I would then install M6 with apt install

OH fails to start

Trying with openhab-cli


smitopher@myth-server:~$ sudo openhab-cli start

A systemd service configuration exists...
Use 'sudo /bin/systemctl start openhab2.service' to start an openHAB service
Launching an instance in this terminal..
Launching the openHAB runtime...

                          __  _____    ____      
  ____  ____  ___  ____  / / / /   |  / __ )     
 / __ \/ __ \/ _ \/ __ \/ /_/ / /| | / __  | 
/ /_/ / /_/ /  __/ / / / __  / ___ |/ /_/ /      
\____/ .___/\___/_/ /_/_/ /_/_/  |_/_____/     
    /_/                        2.4.0.M6
                               Milestone Build   

Hit '<tab>' for a list of available commands
and '[cmd] --help' for help on a specific command.
Hit '<ctrl-d>' or type 'system:shutdown' or 'logout' to shutdown openHAB.

Error in initialization script: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/shell.init.script: /var/lib/openhab2/etc/shell.init.script

Googling did not give anything helpful
What am I missing?

Well, some additional data points

I removed all Lutron items and things.
I uninstalled the Lutron binding

I stopped OH

I updated the PPA to testing

I upgraded with

sudo apt install openhab2 --reinstall

I can start OH with

sudo openhab-cli start

From the Paper UI, I attempt to install the Lutron binding.

It fails

==> /var/log/openhab2/openhab.log <==
2018-11-25 20:46:40.245 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-lutron': Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-binding-lutron; type=karaf.feature; version="[2.4.0.M6,2.4.0.M6]"; filter:="(&(osgi.identity=openhab-binding-lutron)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=2.4.0.M6)(version<=2.4.0.M6))" [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-binding-lutron/2.4.0.M6: missing requirement [openhab-binding-lutron/2.4.0.M6] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.binding.lutron; type=osgi.bundle; version="[2.4.0.M6,2.4.0.M6]"; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.binding.lutron/2.4.0.M6: missing requirement [org.openhab.binding.lutron/2.4.0.M6] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(osgi.wiring.package=gnu.io)"]]

So I guess the Lutron Binding is borked at the moment. This is a Milestone and not a Release so I guess I should not be all that surprised

It seems that there is a broken dependency on the gnu.io (serial transport) that is not automatically resolved during the installation of the lutron binding.

try to install the serial transport bundle from the OH2 console:

feature:install openhab-transport-serial

If this works, report back so we can open an issue against the lutron binding

yup, I can reproduce this one

Solution is to install the serial bundle

Opening github issue now

here you go:
https://github.com/openhab/openhab2-addons/issues/4281

Thank you

I installed the bundle from the console as suggested, then installed the binding with the paper UI and that was successful

PR was made by the maintainers team and approved so the fix will be included soon.
thanx for reporting this!