[SOLVED] MyOpenHAB-Cloud NOT Online - Alexa not working - OpenHAB-App no remote access!

Couldn’t even reach OH with the iOS App through VPN. It always tries to connect to the remote URL. Had to use the console to close my awning :joy:

Is this a known issue? I’ll be happy to submit a PR to fix this.

From what I can tell, the app (Android, at least) only looks for a local connection if you are connected to a WiFi network. Same problem here, so I just VPN’d in, then went to my OH instance’s local address in a web browser to get to the basic UI and control from there.

I switched to OH from Wink because I wanted the ability to do something like that without setting up my own cloud server. Last time Wink went down I had no recourse, and controls were down even inside the house!

1 Like

Thx, probably the same with the iOS App. I’ll look into it then. Can’t do anything about Android though, so maybe you should open an issue…

Ok, here’s what i think happened. Looks like we exhausted the MongoDB connection limit, first time we have seen this. I have worried our connection pool per process is actually too big, but up to today it has not been an issue. I have reloaded the processes to clear the connections, so expect the service to be very slow for the next hour, but it will come back as the thousands of openHAB’s connect.

I am going to have to schedule a maintenance window either this weekend or early next to address two issues. First is this one, the second is we need to migrate a few of our instances to new types to avoid our provider doing it for us randomly ( MDS ZombieLoad CPU vulnerability). This will be a rolling restart of the servers so I don’t expect a full outage , just some slowness. I’ll post something to the larger community when i have a time nailed down.

Apologies and thanks for your patience .

17 Likes

thank you Dan! :handshake::+1:

@digitaldan myopenhab.org is working again, but https://home.myopenhab.org/start/index is still not reachable…

My instance is working now.
Alexa is working too.

If others can confirm this, then i will tag the thread-title with SOLVED …

here it work :slight_smile:

Yes, is working perfectly!

It’s not easy but it looks like you can make Alexa work with a private instance of the openHAB Cloud Server.

The myopenhab.org server is owned by the openHAB Foundation. The way that the openHAB Foundation is established as a legal non-profit entity in Germany would preclude this. If someone else wants to take the code for the openHAB Cloud Server and establish their own paid service, I don’t think that would be outside the bounds of what is legal (I’m not a lawyer, this is not legal advice). But the openHAB Foundation cannot charge for access to myopenhab.org.

If you want to financially support myopenhab.org you can donate to the foundation.

If it’s an issue it is on the iOS app and not related to this discussion. When on your VPN I think it should be able to resolve your local URL and connect locally.

im already buying stuff via smile.amazon.de :slight_smile:

1 Like

Every time myopenHAB has issues, there is an understandable flurry of posts like this one. Would it make sense to add an “openHAB Status” link to the website header (right next to “Community”?) so that people can easily check it without having to know the URL? I wasn’t aware of status.openhab.org for a couple of months. I feel like it would be valuable for new users to have easy access, even if it’s not always accurate.

Yes I think this would be great… Not for me, because I can live without myopenhab for a couple of hours, but others might find this good

That’s what I thought, too. I haven’t looked at the code yet, but it seems like the App doesn’t try to use the local connection if you’re not on wifi.
But nvm, I’ll look into it and submit a PR.

In most cases I have seen, the service showed ONLINE, but it was unreachable. So I´m afraid this would only confuse even more.
Lucky we have Dan on it very fast every time… Thanks alot @digitaldan!!

2 Likes

As a work around, you can remove the remote url from the app - afaik it should then always try the local url as it does not know anything else.

1 Like

Thanks @Kai. I’ve submitted a PR against the swift branch of the iOS App, just in case…

@digitaldan: are there any new news? i have the same problem as @Thomas_Ihmann since last thursday. myopenhab-login works but i cannot open the dashboard => 504 Gateway Time-Out

It´s working fine for me…

Well, good for you.
@Thomas_Ihmann is your dashboard reachable again?