[SOLVED] New entry in Z-Wave Database does not work properly with Z-Wave Binding

We usually assume somebody who authored that entry is using it successfully. Removing it could break them and others.

Earlier you said that your device is different to the original one in the database. If that is the case, then we canā€™t just delete the old one and keep the new one can we? Maybe Iā€™m missing something, but obviously that is fine for you as we keep your device, but what about the older device?

What I understand is that the device is sold in two versions with the identical Z-Wave product id. The name A8-9 refers to the number of sensors (8 or 9). The one that the original poster @luca-parlapiano added to the database does not have the PIR sensor, the one I have does. Furthermore as you can read in his post, he couldnā€™t add various channels (unknown channel types) so they were deleted. When I added my device to the network I experienced the same behavior as the OP so I am certain that the devices are identical apart from the omitted PIR sensor.

That is why I started from scratch as I couldnā€™t add the missing channels and delete the wrong ones and was worried that uploading the xml file produced by the binding would mess things up. So in the end I think that for database consistency it would be better to have only one entry for the device, preferably the one that is complete and works correctly. I am sure that this will not negatively impact users currently using the old entry.

If there is anything else I can do please let me know. Cheers.

It probably makes more sense to delete the new one and make sure that the old one is correct rather than messing around with the database entries.

What couldnā€™t you add in the existing database entry that stops this being correct?

Now I can confirm that everything works I could copy every entry back into the old one, only thing I cannot do is to delete wrong entries. It is quite time consuming as the device has so many channels and configuration options so I was hoping there is an easier way. Or is there another way to copy things from one entry into the other?

No - not once the device already has data. This is to stop people accidentally copying wrong devices and screwing up existing entries, so copy is only supported before data is entered.

Iā€™ve not compared the two entries, but I assume thereā€™s ā€œjustā€ a few channels that have been added (maybe 1/2 dozen?) in which case it should only take 5 or 10 minutes to re-add them. I would prefer to do this than swap the entries as the reference number is used elsewhere.

Sure Chris, I will give it a go. I will mark (have actually already done that) what needs to be deleted with ** DELETE **. It is more the many many configuration options, but I understand what you say :grinning:

If there are different configuration options between these two devices, then we would need different database entries. Iā€™m not sure why weā€™d have to delete configuration parameters from the old entry?

No worries, there are 28 configuration parameters with each several options. No configuration parameters have to or will be deleted. Only item up for deletion now is the ā€œSENSOR_BINARYā€ that was accidentally added by me, this being caused by having multiple tabs open in the same browser of the database. This one is marked as such. It was not part of the original entry.

I will let you know when I have updated and tested the channels and configuration options. Also awaiting a response from the manufacturer as there were some errors in their documentation for the config parameters.

1 Like

Thanks. I know the database editor isnā€™t quite as user friendly as it could be so thanks for persevering. I have been working on an improved editor which hopefully will role out at some point soon which is a lot faster and should also avoid the multiple tab problem.

2 Likes

Old database entry is updated now and tested. My new entry can be removed. Wasnā€™t that much work in the end :slight_smile: thx!

1 Like

Thanks - Iā€™ll try and get this into the binding this evening.

1 Like