[SOLVED] New entry in Z-Wave Database does not work properly with Z-Wave Binding

CO2 devices won’t give you any detailed measurements, just a command if it detects a risky level of co2:

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/openhab-2-channel-types

2 Likes

I think there is now a sensor that provides levels rather than just an alarm, so it’s possible that this device provides that. I’d need to see the XML file produced by OH for the device though to confirm this.

Chris

@ chris here it is, in both its pre-Database-entry and the post-Database-entry versions.
node_16_after_db_entry.xml (7.8 KB)
node_16_before_db_entry.xml (10.5 KB)

I am assuming you did notice that by default configuration data report is disabled?

@sihui yes, I did provide all those fields values > 0 to enable reports.

1 Like

So, no news uh? :frowning: @chris @sihui

Have you actually tried the latest version or not?

How did you test your switch? How did you increase the carbon dioxode level?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Home-Safeguard-HO-CO2-Aerosol-Carbon-Monoxide-Detector-Tester-Aerosol/143943332

1 Like

@chris I re-installed the Z-Wave binding, excluded the MCO Home sensor, re-associated it, linked the Luminance channel to an Item, provided values > 0 to report configuration parameters: sadly, nothing changed.
I collected some logs (executed log:set DEBUG , then restarted the Z-Wave binding, then collected logs for about two minutes until they were printed more sparsely):
mco_logs_pt1.txt (592.7 KB)
mco_logs_pt2.txt (500.3 KB)
Note that the MCO Home device is now Node 17.

I checked the Z-Wave binding repo on GitHub, I did not found any diff concerning MCO Home A8-9 devices; did I miss them?

@sihui I haven’t been able to check the CarbonDioxide alarm. I am just trying to read more easily-available data, such as Luminance and Temperature, and they don’t work either.

No need to exclude and re include to get the latest binding dist. Just delete and rediscover the Thing. I have found some devices do not behave after excluding unless factory reset.

Sorry - I forgot to export the database for this device last week, so the changes didn’t make it into the binding. I’ve now exported it and it will be updated in a few days.

2 Likes

I also bought this multi-sensor, one of the few devices or actually the only one I could find with temperature, noise, VOC, CO2, smoke density, PM2.5, luminance and relative humidity in one nice looking Z-Wave device. It works fine but with the current configuration only the following channels are reported:

• sensor_smoke
  • sensor_relhumidity
  • sensor_luminance
  • sensor_temperature
  • sensor_co2

Missing are:

• volatile_organic_compound
  • loudness
  • smoke_density
  • particulate_matter
  • general

They are all reported by the device and can be found in the xml file produced after interrogation.

I noticed that there are other devices that have the channel “sensor_particulate” Is there anything I can do to add these channels?

Please post the xml file. @chris can determine whether we need a new database entry and / or the binding needs modifying to support the sensors.

This is the xml file, database entry is here as posted before.

network_d6fe3ae3__node_11.xml (20.6 KB)

I see at least some of the sensors listed in the xml like you said. My question would be whether the binding currently supports those. If not, that may be the reason they are currently missing.

We will need to wait for Chris to let us know.

These channels are not currently implemented in the binding (or the database). Please add the channels in the database - add a channel name such as sensor_voc, sensor_loudness, sensor_smoke, sensor_particulate with the appropriate type as per the XML file.

I’m not sure what the general sensor does so unless you know, and it does something useful, I would ignore it for now.

I will update the binding over the next week to add support for these.

2 Likes

I noticed my device is slightly different from the one @luca-parlapiano entered into the database (it has an additional PIR sensor) even though the devices have the same reference / type ID. Therefore I decided to create a new database entry from scratch from the xml file.

So now the following channels are available:

• sensor_binary :white_check_mark: (added)
  • volatile_organic_compound :x: (added)
  • sensor_loudness :x: (added)
  • sensor_co2 :white_check_mark:
  • smoke_density :x: (added)
  • particulate_matter :x: (added, reported by database as unknown, but known by binding I think)
  • sensor_general :white_check_mark: (added, no clue what this reports)
  • sensor_luminance :white_check_mark:
  • sensor_relhumidity :white_check_mark:

One last request, I accidentally changed the original database entry because I had both entries open at the same time in the browser. Could you please undo these changes, my only intended change was the maximum firmware version.

Please can you use the channel names I suggested earlier - this keeps things consistent.

Is it possible for you to change back anything you changed? There is no undo button so we need to manually reverse any errors people make.

1 Like

Sure, changed the channel names, only sensor_voc and sensor_loudness are unknown now.

Will be glad to do so, unfortunately I do not have authority to delete items from the database, if you could grant me I will clean it up. In the end I think the original entry should be deleted entirely as it is incomplete.

So I made some changes to the new entry I created for the device. I tagged it in the database as applicable for firmware versions after 6.3, the firmware my device has. I did the following:

• Added the “sensor_voc” and “sensor_loudness” channels, these are not yet known by the binding
  • Added the “sensor_particulate” which is already known by the binding
  • I figured out that “sensor_general” actually is the PIR motion sensor and included it as “alarm_motion”
  • The smoke density channel is actually a smoke alarm (just 0 or 1) so I included it as “alarm_smoke”
  • I updated the configuration options

Then I added the “sensor_voc” and “sensor_loudness” to the channels.xml (50.5 KB) file of the binding, added the database export for the device a89.xml (19.0 KB) and recompiled the binding. All sensors are working now and the reporting thresholds and timings can be changed in the configuration. Actually very happy now with this device, nice looking display reporting CO2, temperature, PM2.5, loudness, illumination, relative humidity, volatile organic compound measurements and motion and smoke alarms.

If this is acceptable @chris I would propose to remove the original database entry (or copy the new one in it’s place) as it contained errors I could not correct. The addition to the channels.xml file is just:

<!-- Loudness Channel -->
        <channel-type id="sensor_loudness">
            <item-type>Number</item-type>
            <label>Loudness</label>
            <description>Indicates the current loudness</description>
            <category>soundvolume</category>
            <state pattern="%.1f" readOnly="true">
            </state>
        </channel-type>

<!-- VOC Channel -->
        <channel-type id="sensor_voc">
            <item-type>Number</item-type>
            <label>Volatile Organic Compound Sensor</label>
            <description>Indicates the VOC level</description>
            <category></category>
            <state pattern="%.1f" readOnly="true">
            </state>
        </channel-type>

Thanks again for your work on the Z-Wave binding and database maintenance!