[SOLVED] OH3 Issue: unable to create rules, scripts, schedules

Hi all,

There was one thing I couldn’t get right after migrating to OH3. I cannot create rules, scripts and schedules.

When I try this, I get on the first attempt (in the log):

00:46:36.680 [WARN ] [automation.rest.internal.RuleResource] - Creation of the rule is refused: null

And on the 2nd save attempt:

00:49:23.986 [WARN ] [automation.rest.internal.RuleResource] - Creation of the rule is refused: Cannot add element, because an element with same UID (5130d50f0c) already exists

However, the rule is not saved - or at least not visible

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Greetz,
Christoph

Hi there,

I’m still struggling with this issue. My attempt to solve was the same like I tried to solve the issue with the model page:

But without success. Problem persists.

Isn’t there really not idea / option to “debug” whats going on there?

Thanks.

Hi all,

in this case I would like to try a another thing. Therefore the question: where does OH store the rules if they are not text-based?

Thanks

I investigated a litte bit further.

Although the error above still persists, when I try to create a new and empty rule, a rule with the ID is created in

/var/lib/openhab/automation_rules.json

"921879d390": {
    "class": "org.openhab.core.automation.dto.RuleDTO",
    "value": {
      "triggers": [
        {
          "id": "1",
          "configuration": {
            "startlevel": 100.0
          },
          "type": "core.SystemStartlevelTrigger"
        }
      ],
      "conditions": [],
      "actions": [
        {
          "inputs": {},

As you see, the rule ID is the same like here:

It seems the the ID is created, the trigger as well but no action. At least this explains the error message saying that the rule already exists.

Maybe this helps a little to ivestigate what’s going on there. More and more I’m convinced that I experience a general bug here…

OK. Now I found a solution by my own.
I did the following: (just if somebody gets someday the same issue)

1. Stopped openhab sevice
  2. openhab-cli clean-cache
  3. I edited /var/lib/openhab/automation_rules.json an removed everything except the {}. Everything I tried during the last days was there, as well al some old rules I made with OH 2.5 and its Next-Gen Rule Engine.
  4. Restarted Openhab

Voila, it works, now I am able to create rules in OH3 as expected.
Seems that this is / was a migration issue in connection with the NGRE of OH2.5

Greetz

6 Likes

Thanks a lot!
Not sure how I missed it all this time but been struggling with rules not firing and not being able to create new rules through the GUI for about a month now :slight_smile:
This fixes all open issues for me.

You are welcome.

Seems that this is / was in fact a general migration issue.

Thank You, this fixed my rules as well. Home is back to normal now! Happy wife happy life lol.