[SOLVED] Openhab configuration tool and upgrades

Hi,

I running OH 2 on a raspberry Pi. (openHAB 2.5.0~S1566-1 (Build #1566)). Also several bindings, Astro, MQTT, database (influx), zwave, etc.

Yep, kinda old…time to upgrade.

I have done a sudo openhab-cli backup --full.

So now to the upgrade. When I start OH config tool I’m wondering if the option 2 is Upgrade System, option 3 is openhab stable.

Does option 2 include option 3? If not which is best to run first?

Regards,
Mac

Option 3 would try to downgrade you to OpenHAB 2.4 which is not supported. I believe 2.5 is expected to be released as stable at the end of this year. The integration of ESH and redesign of the build system delayed its release.

2.5M3 is the current Testing build. i am unsure whether you are currently running a Testing build or Unstable snapshot. I would recommend the Testing version.

option 2 is the system. If there is a new version of openHAB (of the same Release, stable, testing [aka Milestone] or unstable [aka nightly]), this will also be installed via system upgrade.

Great! Thanks!

aka SNAPSHOT

1 Like

Ok, so after the upgrade I get these in the log:

[ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-action-mail'

and

[ERROR] [lmessage.RequestNodeInfoMessageClass] - Request node info not placed on stack due to error.

What do I need to fix? I’ll have a google, but did mail function change?

Not sure the RequestNodeInfoMessageClass is part of that…

mail is no longer an action, but a binding. You have to uninstall the action (maybe through karaf, as it won’t emerge on Paper UI, or is it listed in /etc/openhab2/services/addons.cfg?) and install the binding instead. Please be aware that afterwards you have to change the configuration and the rules.

aka Unstable ( the official name)

That now is confusing at least to newbies.
“unstable” (and “testing” and “stable”) are the Linux repository names (which in turn have another load of aliases like jessie/buster on Debian or trusty/bionic etc on Ubuntu) while when we’re talking about the openHAB packages (from the openHAB repository to only contain these and none of the rest of Linux), we’re talking about “release”, “milestone” and “snapshot”.
So naming a repo “official” in the forum here would relate rather to openHAB and not to Linux, so the “official” name would rather be “snapshot”.
And “nightly” is none of them, it’s even incorrect as new snapshot builds are not generated every night but only when explicitly triggered.
Confused and dazed now ?

There is nothing mentioning mail in addons.cfg. There was a mail.cfg, I removed and rebooted.

Same karaf error. I went to the console no bundle referring to mail is present.

Shut down openHAB & delete the contents of the cache & tmp folders in userdata.
The next OH startup will take longer than usual.

Same error:

[core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-action-mail'

Not sure just a guess: if it’s a OHv1 action (mail.cfg to exist indicates it was) you might need to install the appropriate package (openhab2-addons-legacy) and/or enable fetching legacy addons from the online repo in addons.cfg

Wasn’t sure where/how " install the appropriate package (openhab2-addons-legacy)", so I went to addons.cfg and made remote = true and legacy = true.

After that the 1.x Mail action showed up in PaperUI. I selected uninstall. The error message seems to have ceased.

Thanks! :smiley:

Now off to figure out: 'sendMail' is not a member of 'org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingActions' with the new mail binding.

mail binding:
There are three things: smtp, imap and pop3 which represents respective servers

mail action:

Mail action is part of mail binding, too: