[SOLVED] Problem with update to release 2.5

Hello,
I’d updated tomorrow to the new release 2.5.0.

Now I got some problems:

• there are no Web-GUI (PaperUI, HabMin) available and
  • all Things (ZWave, Xiaomi, Asrto, Wether) are listed in karaf, but all are uninitialised.

So I’ve got some questions:

• Must I install all UI and Bindings manually?
  • If it is, how I can install PaperUI?

I’d clear the cache and restart OpenHab sometimes.

Can anybody help?

Greetings
Jens

What version did you upgrade from?

Try stopping OH and and rebooting. You may need to do this more than once but may sure OH has fully restarted before stopping and doing second reboot.

I’m upgrading from Version 2.4.
The update should reinstall all existing Bindings and GUIs automatically?

Yes, I would think so. What platform are you running OH on?

With a few exceptions. The Release Notes mention some bindings that need manual steps, including restdocs that moved from misc to ui.

1 Like

Forgot about that one. Thanks Bruce!

@agricola as mentioned above try stopping OH and rebooting a few times and see what happens.

1 Like

Also, any invalid addon in a config file can cause the addons to reload every minute. Check addons.config and addons.cfg for issues.

@Bruce_Osborne, Would you also recommend temporarily removing any addon jar files before upgrade?

I’m running on

• Hardware: Raspi 3 and

So I’ll check the Config. Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

I think they should be removed anyway, assuming they are newer snapshot versions of what is already in 2.5.

If any are needed they could be added back after everything else appears to be running smoothly.

@agricola I just read another post about needing to reboot 3 or more times for OH to get working.

Last night, moving from M5 to stable I restarted OH once. They first time, ephemeris complained and my config files did not load properly.

This was the problem I faced updating. I ended up reloading and bringing things in slow.

I know I should not need to do that but it worked. I believe it may have been related to the addons.config file. I plan to update to the actual release but before I do, I want to debug a little first. Seems like something in the apt update is wrong.

Hello again,

that’s strange- the config files
./userdata/config/org/openhab/addons.config and
./conf/services/addons.cfg
has no manual entries, no entries for bindings or GUI.
I know, there was another (temporary) file with my entries. Anybody knows, where I’ll find it?
Can it be, the new Version will ignore this file?

Hello again,

the config files
./userdata/config/org/openhab/addons.config and
./conf/services/addons.cfg
has no manual entries, no entries for bindings or GUI.
I know, there was another (temporary) file with my entries. Can it be, the new Version will ignore this file?
Should I try to insert the entry for paperui? Why I can do that?

What package is listed in this file?

There is no package listed, the file is not edited;

# The installation package of this openHAB instance
# Note: This is only regarded at the VERY FIRST START of openHAB
# Note: If you want to specify your add-ons yourself through entries below, set the package to "minimal"
# as otherwise your definition might be in conflict with what the installation package defines.
#
# Optional. If not set, the dashboard (https://<yourserver>:8080/) will ask you to choose a package.
#
# Valid options:
#   - minimal  : Installation only with dashboard, but no UIs or other add-ons. Use this for custom setups.
#   - simple   : Setup for using openHAB purely through UIs - you need to expect MANY constraints in functionality!
#   - standard : Default setup for normal users, best for textual setup
#   - expert   : Setup for expert users, especially for people migrating from openHAB 1.x
#   - demo     : A demo setup which includes UIs, a few bindings, config files etc.
#
# See http://docs.openhab.org/configuration/packages.html for a detailed explanation of these packages.
#
#package = minimal

# Access Remote Add-on Repository
# Defines whether the remote openHAB add-on repository should be used for browsing and installing add-ons.
# This not only makes latest snapshots of add-ons available, it is also required for the installation of
# any legacy 1.x add-on. (default is true)
#
#remote = true

# Include legacy 1.x bindings. If set to true, it also allows the installation of 1.x bindings for which there is 
# already a 2.x version available (requires remote repo access, see above). (default is false)
#
#legacy = true

# A comma-separated list of bindings to install (e.g. "sonos,knx,zwave")
#binding = 

# A comma-separated list of UIs to install (e.g. "basic,paper")
#ui = 

# A comma-separated list of persistence services to install (e.g. "rrd4j,jpa")
#persistence = 

# A comma-separated list of actions to install (e.g. "mail,pushover")
#action = 

# A comma-separated list of transformation services to install (e.g. "map,jsonpath")
#transformation = 

# A comma-separated list of voice services to install (e.g. "marytts,freetts")
#voice = 

# A comma-separated list of miscellaneous services to install (e.g. "myopenhab")
#misc = 

Downgrade to OH version 2.4, after it’s up and running, uninstall restdocs via PaperUI. Stop OH, clean the cache and restart. After its up and running then got to openhabian-config tool and select the option 1, then 2, and 3. After that jump down to “apply improvements” and select option 11, 12, 13 and 14. Now exit the tool and restart OH.

After a few minuets you should have access to PaperUI where you can set you location and add restdocs.

I just tested this on my production server and everything worked.

I was going to suggest uncommenting the package line and setting it to standard. Minimal excludes most of the UIs, if I recall correctly.

Just checked my system and it’s set to “minimal” so it should not make a difference.