[SOLVED]Setpoint and MyOpenHab Cloud Connect

  • Platform information:
  • Hardware: * Hardware: i7 4790k, 16 GB RAM, plenty of storage
  • OS: Windows 10
  • Java Runtime Environment: Java 8 - 201
  • openHAB version: 2.4 Release

I have a working site map locally, however, when I access the BasicUI from MyOpenHab, the following items don’t work:

Setpoint item=HVAC_HeatSetPoint label=“Heat Set Point [%.1f °F]” minValue=40 maxValue=80 step=1
Setpoint item=HVAC_CoolSetPoint label=“Cool Set Point [%.1f °F]” minValue=40 maxValue=80 step=1

Basically, when I click on up or down, nothing happens. even a refresh doesn’t change it. It doesn’t actually change anything either.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? The Mode, and the temp sensor seem to work OK, although the Mode setting is a bit finicky.

Again, everything works perfectly if I access it from the local LAN.

Look at events.log and openhab.log to see if truely nothing is happening or whether there is an error or something else going wrong.

I believe this is the error that is causing the problem:

Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/HVAC_CoolSetPoint’ with an invalid status value ‘79 ?F’

The item associated with this event is defined in an items file:

Number:Temperature HVAC_CoolSetPoint “Cool Set [%.0f °F]” <temperature_cold> (gHVAC) [“TargetTemperature”]

I imagine it is the “[%.0f °F]” that is throwing it off, but I am unsure what to do about it. I’ll try removing it temporarily to see if it fixes it, and go from there.

Doesn’t appear to be that “[%.0f °F]” in the item. But, if I do it locally, the event logs show:

2019-05-29 12:26:06.798 [ome.event.ItemCommandEvent] - Item ‘HVAC_CoolSetPoint’ received command 79 °F
2019-05-29 12:26:06.798 [nt.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - HVAC_CoolSetPoint predicted to become 79 °F
2019-05-29 12:26:06.799 [vent.ItemStateChangedEvent] - HVAC_CoolSetPoint changed from 8E+1 °F to 79 °F

If I do it remotely, the openhab logs show:

2019-05-29 12:24:34.019 [WARN ] [rest.core.internal.item.ItemResource] - Received HTTP POST request at ‘items/HVAC_CoolSetPoint’ with an invalid status value ‘80 ?F’.

OK, this is weirdness and an issue probably needs to be filed. The thing that is throwing it off is the ?F which should be °F. For some reason when you are going through myopenhab.org, it can’t encode the degree symbol and it’s sending ? instead which, obviously, is not valid.

The thing is I’m not sure which repo it would be appropriate to file the issue on. I’d start with the openhab-cloud.

@digitaldan, @hmerk, does this look like something that is known about? Does it make sense?

1 Like

Sorry, don‘t know. I am not into the myopenhab code.

Sorry, I was mistaken. Thanks for popping in and letting me know.

@muzicman0, I’m going to suggest you file an issue on the openhab-cloud repo. See How to file an Issue for details. Let us know if you need help!

Thanks for the help. I opened the issue.

Is there anyway to use some type of transform (mapping) to make this work? I am also having the same issue using the Google assistant (as I would expect). I’m trying to come up with some type of work around.

I was wondering if I map ?F to °F somehow. Just not sure if this is possible.

That won’t help because:

  • a Map transform will work on he entire message, not just part of the message
  • either you didn’t post it or there is no binding so there is no place to transform the message in the first place; putting the map in the label (i.e. between the [ ]) only transforms how it appears on your sitemap but it’s failing before that point.

You can try and see if you can get away with using just a Number instead of a Number:Temperature.

I´m not quite sure if this might be the issue. But is there a specific reason, why you use [%.0f °F] in the item, but in the sitemap you use [%.1f °F] (Notice the %.1f and %.0f differences).

Try remove the label from your sitemap as see if it works then. You have already defined the label in the item. So unless there is a specific reason for not using that label, just remove it from you sitemap.

Otherweise, I´ts probably the unit (Number:Temperature) which is causing the issue, like Rich say above.

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason, I didn’t get a notification on the last 2 responses.

Removing the label had no noticeable affect, however, changing the number:temperature to just number did in fact fix the issue. Thanks for all the help!