[SOLVED] Somfy IO rollershutter motors, which system is best for using with OH2?

Many thanks to all who have made their contribution so far. :slight_smile:

I summarize:

I’m just as smart as before.

Some of you recommend Z-Wave, others advise against it.

Some are very satisfied with RTS or RFXTRX433XL, others are not.

One has no problems at all with the Connexoon solution.

Others are satisfied with io-homecontrol, but many are not.

Tahoma is not recommended by anyone.

Some recommend Shelly, Tasmota and / or MQTT or CUL with MQTT or simply Homematic.

What about io-homecontrol together with the Velux KLF 200 gateway and Velux Binding? Any experiences?

I have 6 of these drapery motors and the very awesome and helpful people @chris and @sihui were able to recently add it to the ZWave database as a supported device and it works perfectly.

You just need the motors only, they have built in ZWave chips in them…are included into your network like any other ZWave device and you do not need any further hardware or bridges…just need to have the blind motors powered up…they are also capable of running on battery packs but I wouldn’t suggest that.

I am just not sure if they are available in your area with your ZWave Frequency…I am in Canada.

Finesse.pdf (372.8 KB)

These were for drapery, but I believe they have larger ones for Rollshutters as well.

2 Likes

This is certain a good solution. I use a somfy wt motor with the fibaro Rollershutter.

2 Likes

This is the (dis)advantage of OH :grinning:
It offers too many possibilities …

I personally would not rely on a gateway, is another piece in between making all more complicated.
I made all with z-wave switches, actors, sensors aso, as it is neccessary that my wired system works parallel.
So if my OH system is down all is still working, just smartness is missing.
I guess otherwise my wife would kill me some time :wink:

3 Likes

:smiley: I know exactly what you mean!

3 Likes

Finally I got 7 rollershutters with “Somfy Oximo IO” motors, they are paired with Velux KLF 200 Gateway (and communicating through io-homecontrol, bidirectional) and they are running very reliable with OH2 Velux Binding.

Also see here.

2 Likes

Also just got a Connexoon, up and running in 5 min. Connected a few of the shutters, up to now 0 problems, all working nicely…:slight_smile:

1 Like

The are two stable solutions now.

#1: Somfy Oximo IO connected to Velux KLF 200, using Velux Binding.

#2: Somfy Oximo IO connected to Connexoon using Somfy Tahoma Binding.

I prefer the Velux solution, because it operates on local LAN, without the need for an internet connection and dependency of a cloud service.

1 Like

Just confirming you have RTS motors working with Connexcoon as other info in this post say it only works with io-homecontrol?

Hi,
how do i connect Somfy’s Connexcoon to OH2?
i asked the local Somfy expert and he didn’t know that one can use Connexcoon with other interface other than Somfy’s app

My given solutions above expects io (=io-homecontrol) motors.

But there are also RTS motors, e.g. Oximo RTS motors available. And there are two different versions of Connexoon available. One with io-homecontrol and another one with RTS. Both can be connected via Tahoma Binding to openhab.

@Celaeno1 I have a question regarding your setup.
Can you see the current position of your Somfy devices in OH2 when you use the Velux binding? So is the communication bidirectional?
And do you have any issues with the radio conenction or is this stable?

A kolleague has the Somfy blind motors j406io and shutters Oximo 40io. I would try the Velux gw if you think this should work on this setup. The alternative would be to move the actors to homematic ip because he has already some components and a GW there. But a Velux GW would be cheaper than replacing 12 actors.

Yes, I can.

Yes, it is.

No issues, it’s stable.

I can only tell you that Somfy Oximo IO shuttermotors are running with the Velux KLF200. The rest I don’t know, sorry.

1 Like

Thank you for this thread. I would have never discovered the Velux controller without it. I just ordered it and I’m looking forward to using it with my 9 Somfy IO driven roller shutters. No cloud connection required was the biggest selling point for me, besides reliability, of course. I’m happy to share my experiences with it if someone finds this thread in the future.

1 Like

Well, so here is my experience after integrating the Velux controller. It crashes from time to time and then simply hangs until power cycled. I have not found a pattern yet. So it’s far away from reliable and I’m back at square 1. When it works the controlling works fine, but at the current stage I’m just looking forward to replacing the Somfy motors with something else.

Did you try using an RFXTRX433XL with these? No cloud connection needed for it to work and very reliable operation (in my experience). Mine have been working for 2 yrs now and operate every day without fail.

Will take a look, thank you

There’s a little work in getting them setup but there’s lots of guides on the process. Involves putting each motor into “program mode” whilst the RFXTRX433XL is “listening” via RFXMNGR in Windows, to pick up each blind ID

Note though that I have the io-homecontrol motors/remotes. They operate on around 868 MHz if I’m not mistaken. I guess the RFXTRX433XL is for the older RTS wireless technology?

Ah, well then the RFXTRX is not going to work there. I have seen (but never used) dual-band devices

RFP1000

1 Like