[SOLVED] Telegram - format String like Number

• Platform information:

• Hardware: Synoology Diskstatio DS218play, Realtek RTD1296
    • Java Runtime Environment: Java8, 1.8.0_181
    • openHAB version: 2.3.0 Release Build
  • Issue of the topic: Problem with string format

I have a Item with following definition:

Number ProxyAussen_Temp1 			"Labor / Keller  [%1.1f°C]"     <temperature> (Temperaturen, EG_Aussen, UnterG)

The format ([%1.1f°C] works well in my sitemap and app.
I send the same item with Telegram on my handy (at given times or for testing by a trigger).
Here is my problem with the format. In the Telegram rule i want to format it as the same like in the sitemap (Number with one digit).

First i thougt the format is defined in the item defination. In the telegram rule i have to convert into a string. At the same time the string gets its format. Actually i have a workaround:

/* Temperatur senden */ 
rule "Telegram_Test1"

when
    Time cron "0 0 18 * * ?" or Time cron "0 0 6 * * ?" or Item MySwitch3 changed to ON
then
    sendTelegram("Benedikt", "Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt %.4s °C", ProxyAussen_Temp1.state.toString) // ergibt "21.6 °C", String auf 4 Zeichen beschränkt
end

I get the right format only if temperature is over 10 °C, if its under 10 there will be 2 digits after the comma.

For me there are two questions:

• Can i convert the item “Number ProyAussen_Temp1” into a String including the format?
  • Is there a other method instead of “.state.toString” (i tryed “.state.floatValue” but i did not work)?

If you change the item to use [%.1f °C] how does that effect your setup?

Try this:

/* Temperatur senden */ 
rule "Telegram_Test1"

when
    Time cron "0 0 18 * * ?" or Time cron "0 0 6 * * ?" or Item MySwitch3 changed to ON
then
    sendTelegram("Benedikt", String::format("Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt %.1f °C", ProxyAussen_Temp1.state)) // ergibt "21.6 °C", String auf 4 Zeichen beschränkt
end

I was editing my post to include String::format, needed to double check first, when you replied.:laughing:
I gotta get faster fingers and a bigger memory.:rofl:

Hello Guys,

sorry for my late reply - wow - your answers were very fast - thank you.

I tryed your solution proposal but i did not work.
Log:

Blockquote
2018-11-29 20:43:21.520 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule ‘Telegram_Test1’: f != org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.types.DecimalType

Is ther anywhere a explanation of the syntax (i am searching for Java examples but i think it is not realy the same)?

Btw: I am used to PLC programming… scripting in open hab is a little bit tricky for me

Hello benostra.

Try this, that worked for me.

sendTelegram ("bot","Guten Morgen, die Wetterlage ist heute "+Condition.state+" die Aussentemperatur beträgt "+T_Aussen.state+" Grad und der Pufferspeicher hat "+P_Puffer.state+"%.")}

CU

1 Like

Thanks for your answers, lot of try an error until now…learning by doing :grinning:

I read the information for posting, but i think i have forgotten some information…
Once again for better understanding:

I get my values from a plc (modbus binding) as integer - so there is no comm, and the values are xx *10. So first what i do ist to dividide with 10 (for example 247 from PLC means 24,7 °C).

Itemdefinition:

Number Aussen_Temp1 				{modbus="slave3:0"}

First rule:

rule "AdjustTemp1"
when
    Item Aussen_Temp1 received update
then
    ProxyAussen_Temp1.sendCommand((Aussen_Temp1.state as DecimalType) / 10)
end

Itemdefinition for Sitemap:

Number ProxyAussen_Temp1 			"Labor / Keller  [%.1f °C]"     <temperature> (Temperaturen, EG_Aussen, UnterG)

Rule for telegram:

/* Temperatur senden */ 
rule "Telegram_Test1"

when
    // Item MySwitch3 changed to ON 
then
        sendTelegram("Benedikt", "Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt %.4s °C", ProxyAussen_Temp1.state.toString) // ergibt "21.6 °C", String auf 4 Zeichen beschränkt
end

Whithout the limitation to 4 digits (%s instead of %.4s) i get the telegramm message with many digits after the comma.

Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt 6.10000000 °C

I want to have always at least one digit before and one digit after the comma. I thougt the item ProxyAussen_Temp1 is already formated [%.1f °C], and this format is taken over with the item.state.toString method, but it does not work…

@Matz666:
May i ask how your items are defined?

It is formatted in its label. Not in the value itself.
Did you try:

sendTelegram("Benedikt", "Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt %.1f °C", ProxyAussen_Temp1.state as Number) // ergibt "21.6 °C", String auf 4 Zeichen beschränkt

Or try:

rule "Telegram_Test1"

when
    // Item MySwitch3 changed to ON 
then
    val String temp1 = ProxyAussen_Temp1.state.toString.format(".1f")
    sendTelegram("Benedikt", "Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt " + temp1 + " °C") // ergibt "21.6 °C", String auf 4 Zeichen beschränkt
end

Why not use modbus 2.x binding with read an write transformations? This way oh would always “see” correct values.

1 Like

Hy benostra.

Sorry for the late Answer.

Items

String P_Puffer   "Pufferspeicher [%s %%]"                  		<cistern>			(puffer)	{ mqtt="...........
String   Condition        "Wetterlage [%s]"   <weather>  (gWetter)  {channel="weatherunderground............
Number T_Aussen   "Aussentemperatur [%.2f °C]"                  	<temperature>		(gHZG,gPoolchart)	{ mqtt="<[mosquitto

I remember that i got this Problem by an Item that get his state from 3 other Items.
Here ive got to “floatValue”

rule "Wetterstatus"
when
	System started or
	Item Condition changed or
	Item Temperature changed or
	Item Wind_Speed changed or
	Item test changed
then
	temperatur = (Temperature.state.toString)
	wind = String::format("%.2f",(Wind_Speed.state as DecimalType).floatValue())
	wetterstatus.postUpdate(""+Condition.state+", "+temperatur+"°C, "+wind+"km/h")
end

or you try to round like in this thread.

https://community.openhab.org/t/rounding-a-number-in-a-rule/7842/26

And at last. Have you tried postUpdate instead of sendCommand???

CU MATZ

1 Like

First try:

sendTelegram(“Benedikt”, “Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt %.1f °C”, ProxyAussen_Temp1.state as Number)
Error message
2018-12-16 10:44:23.318 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.RuleEngineImpl] - Rule ‘Temperatur_senden’: f != org.eclipse.smarthome.core.library.types.DecimalType

Second try:

val String temp1 = ProxyAussen_Temp1.state.toString.format(“.1f”)
sendTelegram(“Benedikt”, “Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt " + temp1 + " °C”)
no error, but format not ok
“Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt 2.70000000 °C”

Hello @gitMiguel,

i don’t see a modbus 2.x binding, only Modbus Binding binding-modbus1 - 1.12.0 in PaperUi.

You need upgrade your openHAB server to 2.4. It’s not yet included in 2.3.

1 Like

To all of you:

thank you for your support and patience, got it finally to work:

sendTelegram("Benedikt", "Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt "+String::format("%.1f°C", (ProxyAussen_Temp1.state as DecimalType).floatValue()))

Recieved Message:
Aussentemperatur Labor beträgt -2.4°C

1 Like