[SOLVED] Tradfri remote control items do not "receive update" anymore (MQTT)

Hi there!

I am using openHAB since a few weeks, but without going too much into the fine tuning. That’s what I am doing now. I completely threw away my IKEA Gateway and now use the MQTT2ZigBee approach.

First off: this works fine and it still does with most of my Things & Channels > Items. There was also no issue with using the IKEA remote controls up until a point today where they just stopped working after changing a few things. First I thought: stupid brain, the issue must be something you changed in the last minutes, but after intensively checking everything I just wrote a few simple things:

THINGS file:

Bridge mqtt:broker:broker "MQTT Broker" @ "ZigBee" [ host="localhost", port=1883, secure=false, clientID="openHAB2", username="TESTING", password="YOUNAMEIT" ]
{
    Thing topic zigbeeBridge "Zigbee2MQTT Bridge" @ "ZigBee" {
    Channels:
        Type switch : permit_join [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.permit_join", commandTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config/permit_join", on="true", off="false" ]
        Type string : log_level   [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/bridge/config", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.log_level" ]
    }

// IKEA remotes 

Thing topic zigbee_tradfri_remote_01 "Ikea Tradfri Remote (001, Spielremote)" @ "ZigBee" {
        Channels:
            Type string : action [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/0x12b457f1fe6d78d4", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.action", trigger="true", retained=true]
    }

Thing topic zigbee_tradfri_remote_02 "Ikea Tradfri Remote (002, Schlafzimmer)" @ "ZigBee" {
        Channels:
            Type string : action [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/0x020d6ffefe068c5f", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.action", trigger="true", retained=true]
    }

Thing topic zigbee_tradfri_remote_04 "Ikea Tradfri Remote (004, Badezimmer)" @ "ZigBee" {
        Channels:
            Type string : action [ stateTopic="zigbee2mqtt/0x001d6ffffe169be5", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.action", trigger="true", retained=true]
    }

... etc.

ITEMS file

Group  ZigbeeTradfriRemote (Zigbee)

String ZigbeeTradfriRemote001Action "Action [%s]" (ZigbeeTradfriRemote) { channel="mqtt:topic:broker:zigbee_tradfri_remote_01:action" }
String ZigbeeTradfriRemote002Action "Action [%s]" (ZigbeeTradfriRemote) { channel="mqtt:topic:broker:zigbee_tradfri_remote_02:action" }
String ZigbeeTradfriRemote004Action "Action [%s]" (ZigbeeTradfriRemote) { channel="mqtt:topic:broker:zigbee_tradfri_remote_04:action" }

So far, so good.
RULE file

rule "TEST"
when 
    Item ZigbeeTradfriRemote001Action received update or
    Item ZigbeeTradfriRemote002Action received update or
    Item ZigbeeTradfriRemote003Action received update 
then
    logInfo("TEST", "UPDATE REMOTE")
end

Now clicking on those fancy IKEA remote buttons exactly nothing is being written into the event log. But: the channel (see the THINGS file) is gettings event logs (from all remotes):

2020-01-06 19:25:15.718 [vent.ChannelTriggeredEvent] - mqtt:topic:broker:zigbee_tradfri_remote_02:action triggered toggle

Changing the rule file to a “channel trigger” (e.g. Channel “mqtt:topic:broker:zigbee_tradfri_remote_02:action” triggered) works. But not using dedicated items which should be mapped to the things/channels correctly. As I said: it works for everything else (motion sensors, led bulbs, … but not for my remotes). :frowning:

I also shut down openHAB, cleared the cache and restarted. Also restarted the whole system. To no avail.

That’s exactly the expected behaviour for trigger=“true”, isn’t it?

Yep, stupid brain. That happens when you do a lot of copy & pasta back and forth and start to lose the high ground. Thank you!

Can 1 Tradfri remote control only 1 zigbee2mqtt device, or can it do for several?
I added a Tradfri E1810/E1524 remote to contorl an IKEA E14 bulb, but messed it up so badly that now the E14 Bulb does not connect to the network anymore. Not sure if I have to reset and join it back to the network again.
Can you share a complete 1 remote to control device/devices thing/item/rules for such a scenario?

@moonwhaler please, can you specify use case for which you use the remote control?
Which devices and which actions do you control?

I currently have 5 Tradfri remotes which are linked to different devices and different actions. Let’s say I want to control lights (on/off), I use the big button in the middle, but to change the color totally different lights (Philips led strip behind my TV), I use the left/right buttons. In other cases, the big button switches off my ZWAVE device which handles the power for my multi media setup. And so forth. So one remote is able to control any device which is known to OpenHAB.

Thanks @moonwhaler
So you switch between the differente diveces via the big button that a very interesting implementation.
May I ask you to share your pieces of code, please?

Sorry, I asked so longtime ago
Can you share your code?
Thanks