[SOLVED] Unable to find any JVMs matching version "1.8" (Mac)

Hi

I installed Java (Zulu build 9.0.0.15+181), but OpenHAB does not find it when I start the start.sh-file in Terminal.

This is the text from Terminal:

Last login: Thu Oct 5 19:24:35 on ttys000
Sindres-MacBook-Air:~ sindredidriksen$ java -version
openjdk version “9.0.0.15”
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (Zulu build 9.0.0.15+181)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (Zulu build 9.0.0.15+181, mixed mode)
_Sindres-MacBook-Air:~ sindredidriksen$ /Users/sindredidriksen/Documents/openhab-2/start.sh _
Launching the openHAB runtime…
Unable to find any JVMs matching version “1.8”.
Java 1.8 or higher is required. Aborting launch.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or if this issue has been resolved in another thread? I am using High Sierra om my Mac.

Thanks.

At the moment openHAB is incompatible with Java 9. Are you able to install Zulu JDK 8 instead?

Thank you. It worked!

1 Like

Just adding that I tried Zulu10 and it didn’t work on my Mac. Had to go with Zulu8.

@Kai sorry to bother you, but this is happening more often. People try with their latest JVM on their platforms and get into trouble. On ARM they try 64bit, on desktops (win/mac/lin) they try JDK10 or openJDK, all of which lead to basic issues.
Can we get an OK from Zulu Systems to distribute their JVM as part of our distribution?

We already distribute their JVM with openHABian, so everyone who uses this distro should be fine.

We should probably enhance our installation documentation to specifically mention that version 8 and 32bit are required - would you be able to do an according PR against the documentation repo? Would be awesome!

1 Like

Agreed. But whats happening is the incompatible Java 9/10/openJDK, doesn’t fail outright with our dist. It fails at a tricky place and everyone spends time wondering if its a legitimate issue. Perhaps a warning on UI, like the one we show when OH instance is exposed publicly because of router config.

Good point, the version should be checked by the start scripts as well.
I found this piece here, which claims to check for Java >=1.6 (while I do not find anything how it performs this check). But somewhere around there, we should change the check to ==8.

Should I look into this then? Will create a PR once done. Should we stop the boot outright and display error message in logs/output?

Would be great if you’d find the time for that (and have the skills :slight_smile: ).
Yes, it should imho stop the boot, just the same way as when the JVM isn’t found at all - this code is here and I guess that’s also the best place to implement the version check.

Sure, Kai. Thanks for the pointers. I can manage shell. :slight_smile:
We may have “tiny” little maintenance to do when fast forwarding to new karaf scripts. But I will be here, always.

The function is in the inc file which is included from the Karaf distribution.

checkJvmVersion() {
    VERSION=$("${JAVA}" -version 2>&1 \
        | egrep '"([0-9].[0-9]\..*[0-9]).*"' \
        | awk '{print substr($3,2,length($3)-2)}' \
        | awk '{print substr($1, 3, 3)}' \
        | sed -e 's;\.;;g')
    if [ "x${VERSION}" = "x" ]; then
       VERSION=90
    fi
    if [ "${VERSION}" -lt "80" ]; then
        die "JVM must be greater than 1.8"
    fi
}

I think the best thing to do would be to override it in the setenv script. (So that it kills it on >=90?)

:+1:
Lets try that. I’ll do it once everyone’s asleep in my home.

1 Like

I confirm, the suggested fix works. OH service doesn’t start. But it goes into an auto-restart loop. Because we specified that in systemd service desc.

systemctl status openhab2.service does report exit status 1 (failure).

However its not easy for a newbie to figure out the issue.
He’s gotta go check journalctl and this line is there

karaf[26745]: Found JVM 80. JVM must be 1.7

Note that, for testing, I changed required JVM to 70 since I have JDK8 installed and didn’t want to install JDK10.

So here would be the fix in runtime/bin/inc file (/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/inc on debian package based setups)

checkJvmVersion() {
    VERSION=$("${JAVA}" -version 2>&1 \
        | egrep '"([0-9].[0-9]\..*[0-9]).*"' \
        | awk '{print substr($3,2,length($3)-2)}' \
        | awk '{print substr($1, 3, 3)}' \
        | sed -e 's;\.;;g')
    if [ "x${VERSION}" = "x" ]; then
       VERSION=90
    fi
    if [ "${VERSION}" -ne 80 ]; then
        die "Found JVM $VERSION. JVM must be 1.8"
    fi