[SOLVED] Unresponsive Z-Wave Network: Tools and Approaches to track down the issues

I will give this a try the next time I need to clean up my mess. :slight_smile:

Are you gonna check this out and maybe update the How-To ?

I thought someone with experience could actually document how to do this as I have no experience with the PC controller and haven’t got the time to train myself on that at the moment based on the manual provided :innocent:

Sure, I am happy to update the doc at the beginning if anyone guides my how it is done with silabs PC controller.

You caught me in a good mood :smiley: Especially for you.

Z-Wave Zombies.pdf (571.9 KB)

2 Likes

I was able to register as a Company Private and could download the SimplicityStudio-5.iso. (~500MB)
After the install, which took some 20 minutes, I found the Z-Wave PC-controller in the Tools section. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your simply the best…! :musical_score::pray:

Interestingly there was also a Z-wave sniffer tool there as well. Will check it out after my vacation. No z-wave where I’m at now. :relaxed:

I think you will see less of me as I move elsewhere. I had a test controller I needed to clean down anyway.

It’s been a while now, so I thought I’d add a quick note on status and progress etc…

Since using the tools and removing the nodes that were dead or playing up my z-wave network has been solid… no errors and reliable.

Thanks again for all the helps.

3 Likes

I need to do this as well… Anyone done this recently? Unfortunately the links are not working anymore… and it is a nightmare to find it now! #zensys

Many thanks!
U

I did not check it myself but it may help: How to get Z-Wave SDK, PC Controller and Zniffer Tools

Is this still the best way, or do the companies producing hardware are know able to support good tools to do so?

I found the old version from PC-Controller and it was still sufficient for me. It turned out that zombie nodes were not the problem. It was a faulty powerplug which was broadcasting continuously and I could figure this out within the network monitor of PC-Controller. After replacing, the Z-wave network worked like a charm again!

1 Like

I have also experienced this. A very talkative node jamming the network.
Used a sniffer to detect it.

I also wonder what’s the best way to do thing nowadays.
Zwave works fine but sometimes when a node does not include nice and smooth there is a chance everything is messed up. Just trying now to give the PC controller another shot and remove my dead nodes.

You can remove ghost nodes with just the zwave binding.

It goes somewhat like this:

• Mark the failed node as “failed”
  • Wait for a openhab log message saying something about the node and a hex value (I remember the number “3” and then some )
  • Remove the device from controller.
  • Watch openhab.log.
    If it says something like controller busy; stop the zwave binding and try again to remove the device from controller. You may have to start the binding again first.
    (Start/Stop the binding from openhab-console)

At least this did work for me last week, I did manage to remove two ghost nodes.
It is not clear to me when exactly the time was right to do the remove from controller step.

This should be documented, but my “it goes somewhat like this” is not good enough.
I hope someone could try and write down the steps :wink:

1 Like