[SOLVED] Weather binding something missing

Hi there,

I have openhab 2.5 and I have installed the Weather binding but it does not report temperature. I only want to have exterior temperature, only that.

I do not get any error in the log.
And I do not get any temperature.

SITEMAPS:

Text item=Temperature label="Temperature [%.2f °C]" icon="sunrise"

ITEMS:

Number   Temperature   "Temperature [%.2f °C]"   {weather="locationId=home, type=temperature, property=current"}

WEATHER.CFG

# The apikey for the different weather providers, at least one must be specified
# Note: Hamweather requires two apikeys: client_id=apikey, client_secret=apikey2
#apikey.ForecastIo=
apikey.OpenWeatherMap=<xxxxxxxxx from hte website>
location.home.provider=OpenWeatherMap
location.home.language=en
location.home.updateInterval=10
location.home.latitude=01.123456
location.home.longitude=02.123456

Do you see any errors in the logs and since this look like a v1.x binding do you have legacy bindings enabled?

Also for openweather map the cfg should be like:

apikey.OpenWeatherMap=<xxxxxxxxx from hte website>
location.home-OWM.latitude=01.123456
location.home-OWM.longitude=02.123456
location.home-OWM.provider=OpenWeatherMap
location.home-OWM.language=en
location.home-OWM.updateInterval=10

And your items like:

Number   Temperature   "Temperature [%.2f °C]"   {weather="locationId=home-OWM, type=temperature, property=current"}

Hi @H102

The legacy is enabled. I changed the home-OWM.
This error:

2020-03-19 17:35:03.178 [ERROR] [org.apache.felix.configadmin        ] - [org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService, org.osgi.service.event.EventHandler, id=457, bundle=286/mvn:org.openhab.binding/org.openhab.binding.weather/[1.14.0,1.15)]: Updating property weather of configuration org.openhab.weather caused a problem: Incomplete location config for locationId '<locationId1>'. Check the binding config.

org.osgi.service.cm.ConfigurationException: weather : Incomplete location config for locationId '<locationId1>'. Check the binding config.

at org.openhab.binding.weather.internal.common.WeatherConfig.parse(WeatherConfig.java:104) ~[?:?]

at org.openhab.binding.weather.internal.bus.WeatherBinding.updated(WeatherBinding.java:86) ~[?:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.helper.ManagedServiceTracker.updated(ManagedServiceTracker.java:189) ~[bundleFile:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.helper.ManagedServiceTracker.updateService(ManagedServiceTracker.java:152) [bundleFile:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.helper.ManagedServiceTracker.provideConfiguration(ManagedServiceTracker.java:85) [bundleFile:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$ManagedServiceUpdate.provide(ConfigurationManager.java:1118) [bundleFile:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$ManagedServiceUpdate.run(ConfigurationManager.java:1074) [bundleFile:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.UpdateThread.run0(UpdateThread.java:138) [bundleFile:?]

at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.UpdateThread.run(UpdateThread.java:105) [bundleFile:?]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_222]

Is there a reason why you would choose the v1 Weather binding over the v2 OpenWeatherMap, DarkSky or any of the other v2 binding? The v1 binding is basically end of life. It will receive no further updates and it will not be supported at all on OH 3. If you are just setting it up now, why not choose a binding you won’t have to change again in the near future?

1 Like

Actually I did not realize about the version, I chose it by the name.

ok, I will try other binding v2.
Sorry. :confused:

You may want to try DarkSky as well, see what you think. For me and my location, it works very well and I place all the weather info on a separate sitemap to prevent cluttering up my control sitemap.

1 Like

I can second the recommendation for DarkSky. The information seemed to be more accurate than OpenWeatherMap. Both bindings were written by the same developer so switching between the two is pretty painless.

The DarkSky website states “We are no longer accepting new signup”. Their blog has an entry of 1-Aug-2020. I must try another service in my new installation.

OpenWeatherMap works but just OK
Yahoo is no longer free
Hamweather was sold to AerisWeather

Thoughts?

I know DarkSky was sold to Apple. I am interested in options as well.

1 Like

For me, in the US, the National Weather Service API looks interesting. I hope their accuracy is higher than their forecasts, though :frowning:

https://www.weather.gov/documentation/services-web-api

There’s a tutorial to use the RSS feed from NOAA to get weather alerts: NOAA Weather alerts using RSS feed (US only)

And I started messing with the NOAA/NWS weather API at: Which weather binding to use

The problem I ran into was parsing out the forecast and calculating the predicted precipitation for the next 24 hours. They have an indeterminate number of elements that cover non-fixed time periods which required more XML parsing and processing than was easy to do in Rules DSL. But I think everything else worked.

It should get someone started. If they want the forecast though I’d recommend using Jython or JavaScript instead of Rules DSL to parse and process the XML to extract and calculate the 24 hour (or longer) precipitation. Everything else can be pulled using XPath.

I’ve not looked at this in years but I think there might be a JSON endpoint now in which case JSONPATH would work.

Personally, all I care about is current temp, current humidity, and current cloudiness. OWM is accurate enough for that so I take the easy path.

That is not the one at api.weather.gov though, is it?

They provide two APIs, an old one and a new one. I don’t remember which API the above uses but the source of information is the same for both.