[SOLVED] Z-Wave on 2.5.1 Broken

Fundamentally that’s not overly likely since currently all ZWave sticks are basically the same. The firmware is written by Sigma and everyone providing a stick was required to use it for certification (there could be some small changes, but not much).

I do not know if this applies, but I saw it on the site for a different system using these sticks.

The modemmanager package will interfere with any Z-Wave or Zigbee stick and should be removed or disabled. Failure to do so will result in random failures of those integrations. For example, you can disable with sudo systemctl disable ModemManager and remove with sudo apt-get purge modemmanager

1 Like

I sent this to @robmac via private message, but for anyone else looking for hints on how to resolve this without a hard reset of your controller…

I can confirm I’ve resolved this. I securely added the Zooz to the network, and as a secondary it was able to kick out my 3 bad nodes. My network is back online. I’m traveling for a few weeks but when I return, I intend to figure out how to promote the Zooz to primary (it’s SDK version is 6.XX and the Z-Stick is 3.95), and remove the Aeon from the network. Nice to have Z-Wave back!

My intention is to use the Zooz as my primary and a UZB3 as my Zniffer. Any comments on one vs the other would be appreciated before I tackle this in a week or so. Thanks!

I have a Zooz as my controller on a small network with no issues. I have some other Zooz devices too.

1 Like

Thank you, I’ve decided to do this, and migrated my network successfully. After several hours of effort, I was able to successfully get my Zooz into the Node 1 position with the security configuration maintained. The network appears to be faster than it’s ever been. Thanks to @chris and @robmac for your help!

2 Likes

Enjoy the HEX edit?

That plus getting into the right mode to where I could promote to Primary properly where SHIFT wasn’t greyed out. Took me a while to realize the right settings to apply to get to that.

Can you quantify how much faster?

Previously, when I’d enter a room and motion based triggers would turn on lights, that could take 1-2 seconds. Now, it is effectively instant.

I did go through the whole network heal and rediscovery process in the Z-Wave PC controller, before restarting the binding. I found I had to uninstall and reinstall the binding for strange queue errors to go away - from that point forward it’s been solid.

Very interesting why it would be faster but any reduction in latency in the stick could help. Newer firmware are hopefully faster but it could be so many things.

Glad you managed to migrate without having to reset and re add all of those nodes. The good news is now you are on a more standard controller you can backup and restore to a similar uzb so hopefully you will not have to go through all of those hops if this stick fails.

Interesting note here for @chris - when I upgraded last night to 2.5.2, my Z-Wave broke again. It went back into the state of “this transaction is the current transaction, so clearing” state (sorry, this is from memory, at work right now). This is the same behavior I’d originally reported when I started this thread and the behavior I experienced when I first successfully paired the new Zooz stick as Node 1 and as the SUC/SIS.

Restarting OpenHAB or the binding does not resolve this, nor does removing and re-plugging the stick, nor does forcing a soft reset, nor does even rebooting the whole Linux box running this install. When I am in this state, I can take the Zooz stick to the PC Controller and the network works perfectly, without any issue at all. Plug it back in to OH2, and I’m faced with what “feels like” a queue of stuck messages. What does seem to resolve this is uninstalling and reinstalling the binding itself. So far this has resolved my issue 100% of the time, now that I’ve identified this as a potential troubleshooting approach.

I’d need to see a log to know what was happening…

I’d find it hard to believe since the binding doesn’t store any state between restarts (other than the node files), but who knows - it’s hard to really say without seeing what’s happening.

I will DM you a link to my log file shortly. And I agree, it makes no sense to me in any way, but I can confirm this has resolved my issue twice on 2.5.1 and then once this morning since the upgrade to 2.5.2. I can’t even fathom why this would seem to work but the various other reset options don’t.

From what version? Many times people upgrading from 2.4 have invalid addons in the configuration causing havoc.

Bruce, he is OP

2 Likes

Could the issue be in the openHAB serial interface and how it behaves with the driver for the aeon labs stick on linux? So neither the binding nor the stick but the bit between.

There was the upgrade to a snapshot last year that left you with no serial interface. Could it be a similar issue with this upgrade that leaves the serial in a poor state.

1 Like