[SOLVED] Zooz ZSE18 Sensor Woes

Perhaps thesmartesthouse support would let you exchange it for something else. Both times I asked for warranty replacements they sent them, no questions asked. The second item was actually not defective. The documentation to wake up the battery device was incorrect and I figured it out eventually.

I would not recommend adding a second controller to a zwave network simply to add range unless you know what you are doing which it sounds like not

1 Like

I understand what you are saying. Conceptually speaking, a second network doesnā€™t even make sense. The only way to really increase and expand a Z-Wave Mesh Network would be to add more devices, which would also increase the time and efficiency of the communications between the hub and the Z-Wave device controller. When I meant it was easy, I wasnā€™t talking about just plugging another Z-Wave device into an extra USB Port, but I understand that you have to manage 2 zone controllers and that would require more hardware configuration and you might actually have to map devices to create a parallel control of a second zone. Iā€™m sure this is not easy, like Plugā€™Nā€™Play.

So I have 2 ZSE18 devices. Both show up as things, neither have a XML file in /var/lib/openhab2/zwave and I have a Zwave sniffer so I can tell that when I wake up the ZSE18 and try Heal that there is traffic between the controller and the ZSE18. Iā€™m at a loss as to what to do. Iā€™ve done the 3 button press wake up many times and things happen, but it still never starts working. Any suggestions? I see this message from the controller which is maybe the problem:
ā€œUnrecognized Command: 02 11 0F 98 40 E0 A5ā€
but the rest of the messages are encrypted and I canā€™t see them. And I see this in the openhab log:
2020-07-19 11:20:35.164 [me.event.ThingUpdatedEvent] - Thing ā€˜zwave:device:2f49090b:node56ā€™ has been updated.

2020-07-19 11:20:35.168 [vent.ConfigStatusInfoEvent] - ConfigStatusInfo [configStatusMessages=[]]

2020-07-19 11:20:39.113 [hingStatusInfoChangedEvent] - ā€˜zwave:device:2f49090b:node56ā€™ changed from OFFLINE (COMMUNICATION_ERROR): Node is not communicating with controller to ONLINE

I do know the binding documentation guides you in how to collect debug logs when things do not go as expectedā€¦
Right now, only your system knows what the issue is. We need debug logs to get it to provide more detailed information.

I now have a zwave debug log. Do you want all of it or just the parts related to NODE 56?

Thanks so much. Mostly the zwave stuff has just worked perfectly. But these two have driven my to drink! No matter what I try, I fail.

Ira

All of it, please. @chris says filtered debug logs are useless for troubleshooting.

You are free to see if the log viewer help you figure it out too,.

https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/openhab/zwave-log-viewer

zwave.zip.log (99.0 KB)

Itā€™s a zip file but I had to rename it to upload it. I looked at it, but It all looks good and then it goes to sleep so Iā€™ve no idea what Iā€™m looking at. The problem device is node 56.

Ira

Since I tagged @chris hopefully he will be along shortly to lend his expertise.

In the log there is just a single message from the device so thereā€™s not really a lot to go on. Clearly the device CAN communicate, but maybe it doesnā€™t work well - I really donā€™t know as there is very little to go on.

If you think it may be a defective device I am sure Zooz can replace it. They did that for me earlier.

@Ira You DID say you used 3 presses to wake up, correct? My manual was wrong when it said single press.

No - I donā€™t think itā€™s defective, although I canā€™t be sure as I only have the limited data above to go on. This does however show that itā€™s transmitting, and itā€™s securely included which also looks like itā€™s probably ok. Thereā€™s no data sent though - just the NIF.

yes, 3 presses. if I do it right, it blinks for a while and I see a flurry of messages and then it goes to sleep. Weird that two do the exact same thing.

Ira

Thatā€™s what I see in the log. The device is waking up, but has no data to send so it goes back to sleep.

If you have the device USB powered when including into the network it will stay awake. That will not help if you must run it off battery though. It stays in the mode it has when first included into the network.

Another idea would be to exclude it, Reset the device & then include it again. I have had a few devices that would not include properly unless reset to factory defaults.

Iā€™ve excluded it and tried again twice already. It just seems weird that two of them have the same problem.

Ira

To be honest, Iā€™m not exactly sure what problem you are reporting? I guess that the device is not sending reports for motion (this is a motion sensor?), but you donā€™t say. All that youā€™ve said is that nothing happens when you wake it up, but from the very short log, thatā€™s not correct - when you wake up the device, it sends a wakeup, and the binding receives and responds appropriately. This all looks normal.

I guess you have another problem - maybe the device is not configured properly - maybe the associations arenā€™t set (these should be set during the initialisation phase) - Iā€™m not really sure. I would suggest to do what Bruce suggested - exclude it, reset it, and reinitialise it - but please capture a full debug log of the process so that we can see what is happening. Otherwise weā€™re just running in the dark (which is why we keep bashing into walls :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Sorry, Not trying to be a problem. I will do that with both units as soon as I get some free time and post those results. Thanks for being patient with me. I just have no idea how all this stuff works.

Ira

It took me quite a while, including getting a replacement, before I got my ZSE-18 working. Part of my problem turned out to be a documentation error. A single button press does NOT wake up the device. It takes 3. I then usually press some more times until the light stops blinking.

Well, Iā€™ve been meaning to reset the 2 ZSE-18s but business has been busy enough I didnā€™t get to it. Last night I noticed that one have them had finally finished discovery after 2 weeks of sitting next to my computer so it would see movement many times a day. So I got the other one and did the 3 button press wake up and Heal over and over and after about 3 or 5 times of that, the other one finished discovery also. Needless to say, Iā€™m both happy to have them working and completely baffled by what it took and wondering what they could have done that would make discovery so difficult.

Ira

1 Like