Some Alexa channels stopped working [OH3]

Hi all,

Tis morning I could send a command on the Start channel of my echo dot to turn a switch on and off “turn switch off” / “turn switch on”. but suddenly it has stopped working.
I can still control the switch via Alexa by saying “Alexa, turn switch on” / “Alexa, turn switch off”

I have tested the Speak channel an that still works, I can have my echo dot say things.

I am using OpenHAB 3.1.0 with the org.smarthomej.binding.amazonechocontrol-3.2.7-SNAPSHOT.jar

I’m a bit new to OpenHAB, is there any way to debug the alexa communication? Or is there a log I can check?

I already rebooted the openHAB server but that didn’t help…

This is part of the log:
#### on and off by talking to alexa works fine
2021-11-12 12:32:00.007 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ received command ON
2021-11-12 12:32:00.010 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ changed from OFF to ON
2021-11-12 12:32:00.717 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_LastVoiceCommand’ changed from turn switch off to turn on switch
2021-11-12 12:32:04.681 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ received command OFF
2021-11-12 12:32:04.687 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ changed from ON to OFF
2021-11-12 12:32:05.380 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_LastVoiceCommand’ changed from turn on switch to turn off switch

#### sending command on the Start channel doesn’t work (worked fine this morning)
2021-11-12 12:32:13.854 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ received command turn on switch
2021-11-12 12:32:13.858 [INFO ] [penhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ predicted to become turn on switch
2021-11-12 12:32:13.864 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ changed from to turn on switch
2021-11-12 12:32:15.017 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ changed from turn on switch to

Thanks!

I‘ll check, but most of the time it turned out to be a temporary failure of Amazon and fixes itself within a day or so.

Hi Jan, Thanks!

Yes, I thinks so too. Do you know if there is a way to monitor the traffic between openhab and amazon? It would be good to know if any errors were thrown.

You can set the binding to debug or trace logging.

But that still requires checking the log.

Morning Jan,
Maybe it’s not an Amzon error. Using the start channel of the echo dot still doesn’t work.
I set the echo to debug and did some tests:

Spoken commands “Alexa, turn on switch” and “Alexa, turn of switch”:
07:30:27.352 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_LastVoiceCommand’ changed from turn off switch to alexa
07:30:28.706 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ received command ON
07:30:28.710 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ changed from OFF to ON
07:30:29.452 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_LastVoiceCommand’ changed from alexa to turn on switch
07:31:08.397 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ received command OFF
07:31:08.405 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘switch’ changed from ON to OFF
07:31:09.127 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_LastVoiceCommand’ changed from turn on switch to turn off switch

"turn on switch" and “turn off switch” on echo dot’s start channel:
07:48:59.482 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ received command turn on switch
07:48:59.491 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ predicted to become turn on switch
07:48:59.496 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ changed from to turn on switch
07:49:00.650 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ changed from turn on switch to

07:49:10.922 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ received command turn off switch
07:49:10.929 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ predicted to become turn off switch
07:49:10.935 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ changed from to turn off switch
07:49:12.087 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStateChangedEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Start’ changed from turn off switch to

changed from […] to turn on switch
changed from turn off switch to […]

It’s like the state isn’t updated to anything.

As a test I sent a command to the speak channel which works fine:
"Hello Robert" on echo dot’s speak channel:
07:35:55.381 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemCommandEvent ] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Speak’ received command Hello Robert
07:35:55.404 [INFO ] [openhab.event.ItemStatePredictedEvent] - Item ‘RobertsEchoDot_Speak’ predicted to become Hello Robert

Which channel exactly is start? startCommand or startRoutine? Does its work with textCommand?

Hi Jan!

I mean the StartCommand channel

I have tested with the TextCommand and this works, the only downside is alexa sais “Ok” after each command.
With StartCommand she stays silent which is what I need.

Did that work in the past? The „startCommand“ channel should be used for commands Alexa understands herself, like „weather“. For complex commands like „turn on light“, the „textCommand“ channel is the correct way.

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.