Sonos ... Audio Sink ... Say?

I have a question regarding volumes. I set everything up and tested with the following rule:

rule "Test"
when 
	Item RuleTest received update ON
then
	setMasterVolume(new PercentType(50))
	say("Hello Everybody")
end

Everything worked great. The problem is I would like to return the volume back to the volume from before it was adjusted. So for example, I’m listing to music low in the background. I’d like to raise the volume, make an announcement, and then continue the music at the original volume. I assume this is possible I’m just not skilled enough to figure it out.

I’d try getMasterVolume ().

What kind of audiosink are you using?
If it is Sonos, that switching back of volume isn’t needed because on Sonos devices the say command uses the notification volume and not the volume.

It is Sonos. How do you change/set the notification volume? I didn’t see anything about it in the binding documentation.

cut and paste from documentation

notificationvolume Dimmer Set the volume applied to a notification sound all

Thanks @Marty56, but which documentation did you get this from? I didn’t see it in the Openhab Docs Section or in the readme of the Git.

I’d like to read it so I can learn more.

I didn’t find it in the docs, @Lolodomo pointed me inHere to the Notification volume.

BTW:Can’t wait till the kids come in for the holidays and I can wake them up using the say command :wink:

http://docs.openhab.org/introduction.html
in section addons

I see it. Confusing as there are two areas in the docs for the Sonos binding. Thanks.

Another somewhat related question if I may. The page lists lots of channels for the Sonos but in Paper UI there are only 5 or so channels. Why would this be? Are all these channels available (via item files) even if they aren’t in Paper UI?

Not sure who the best person to answer this is… @Kai?

Good question. I have also asked myself this.

Did you try to click on “morre” besides those few channels?

sometimes I am blind :frowning:

Seriously though… Since that was only text (only mousing over reveled the block) my brain automatically assumed it was talking about the carrot symbols underneath it, to see more or less of the individual channel information.

It didn’t dawn on me that it only was there and not on my other things.

Mind=Blown!

Really though @Kai or whoever handles the graphic stuff for PaperUI, this button should be highlighted more to indicate that it is in fact a button and not a label. Or maybe make it an arrow under the short list of channels indicating more with a down arrow button that you click.

I am also testing say with SONOS. I made some successful tests with Swedish language and VoiceRSS on build #640
But the notification volume is something i have looked for, because the say-messages are very low in my case.

I cannot find the documentation you refer to, can someone be more specific where it is?

Thanks,

The Sonos-Part of the documentation is here. The “say”-command will use the Sonos Notificationsound.

This is the rule I’m using (SayCommand is the string item with the text):

val Number NotificationVolume = 20

rule "SagEtwas"

when 
  Item SayCommand received update
then
  var string AudioSink
  switch AudioSink {
    case Lautsprecher.state.toString=="Küche" : AudioSink="sonos:PLAY1:RINCON_Bxx1400"
    case Lautsprecher.state.toString=="Wohnzimmer" : AudioSink="sonos:PLAY1:RINCON_Byy1400"
    case Lautsprecher.state.toString=="Gästezimmer" : AudioSink= "sonos:PLAY1:RINCON_Bzz1400"
    default:AudioSink="sonos:PLAY1:RINCON_Bxx1400"
    }
  gPlayer_NotificationVolume.allMembers.filter(s | s.state!=NotificationVolume ).forEach [item | item.sendCommand(NotificationVolume)]
  say(SayCommand.state.toString,"voicerss:deDE",AudioSink)
end
1 Like

Thanks!

The quality of sound from say-command using voicerss as TTS and sonos as audiosink is poor.

When I listen to the different sounds from voicerss it resembles “8kHz, 8 bit” more than “44kHz, 16bit”.

From the documentation http://docs.openhab.org/addons/voice/voicerss/readme.html it says:
“It actually supports only one voice: “voicerss:default”, which is configured to use 44kHz, mono, 16 bit sampling quality”.

What is your opinion?

Dear @opus ,

I’m just playing around with my sonos and OH2. I tried this in karaf:

smarthome:audio play sonos:PLAY1:RINCON_XXX1400 doorbell.mp3

This should play the standard doorbell.mp3 which is stored at /etc/openhab/sounds/. I get no error but even no sound. I already added the openhab user to the audio group. I thought this should be easier than starting with Voicerss.

Any suggestion?

Thanks
chr1s

Did you setup this Sonos box as default audiosink on PaperUI?

I’d do that and then check this command o karaf:

openhab> smarthome:audio play doorbell.mp3

1 Like

Dear opus. Many thanks. Sonos was already my default sink. I tried again now and it is working. I don’t understand why it doesn’t work yesterday…

That’s because the force is with me.

1 Like